Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have three year old petrol Nissan Qashqui, and the new shape version is now far to expensive for me, and have arranged test drives for both Ecosport petrol models, as the price range is better assuming I do not go for many extras.

A few questions....

Which petrol engine is best to drive, performance, ride, handling, smoothness? (not that particular about fuel saving as thats not my priority).

Why is red more expensive than the rest, (£200 more, making it very expensive) as red is my favorite colour of car?

The spare wheel is extra (as usual), do you get the colour coded clamshell cover with that?

Thanks Colin.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Colin.
I like the performance of the 1litre ecoboost engine seemed to be better than the 1.5, and certainly has plenty of power with four adults on motorways and up hill. If your thinking of towing I would go for the diesel a lot more torque. Think handling is pretty much the same on any version and I certainly have no complaints.
Really don't know why red is a more expensive colour but I do think it is a nice colour.
And yes you do get the colour coded cover if you go for the spare wheel option, but now you only get a space saver wheel not the full size alloy you would need to ask the.dealer about that. From experience I would always go for the spare wheel option on any car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave up diesel engines when it went to Paticulate filter and burn cycles, far to complex for me, and now with Adblue in new diesels is a bit of a joke (and an expensive once considering the price of the stuff), that put the nail on the coffin for diesels for me. I would rather just have a petrol engine, with cat converter for life and a few O2 sensors to worry about :)

As for the new 1 litre engine which is a three cylinder, not sure about how smooth it would be (the test drive will tell), having always had four cylinders and above, plus bigger cc's than a one litre, sounds awful low power.

I am used to zetec bigger engines with my work car, but we wait and see.

As for paint will leave that for last if doing the deal and ask for a deal breaker with £200 off somewhere, to make it the same price as the other colours. I do not mind paying for paint but that's is a rip off.

Also I am well used to a space saver nowadays, but would rather have that than goo + compressor kit, which can never be 100% reliable.

Thanks for your input. Also what is the service plans, any deals on?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't be put off by it only being a three cylinder its 120 ps or 118 bhp and drives really smooth, apparently they use an unbalanced flywheel To compensate.
I've never known the tyre repair stuff to work and after having punctures I'd much sooner have the comfort of a spare and think it sets the ecosport apart from the rest.
Ours is in smoke grey the dealer had it stock so got a good deal but you may be able to negotiate the price if they want the deal they won't want to loose a sale.
Our service plan is £12 per month but we had money carried over from the Fiesta we traded in so not sure what the full price would be.
One thing we did take out this time as we had to buy two tyres for the Fiesta in two years due to punctures was add the tyre insurance for a one off payment of £70 for three years cover unlimited puncture repairs and upto three new tyres per year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, really looking forward to the test drives now, next week.

There is that many SUV's out there nowadays, but it was the recent advert on TV that got me thinking of the Ecosport, just by looks (and price).

One other question is Start stop tech, have managed to avoid it on my Nissan and all older cars that I have owned, but assume the Ecosport has it, like al new cars now. I just do not like the idea of an engine being switched off mid journey all the time, as engine wear would be increased by all that stop starting. Can it be switched off each journey by a switch, or can the switch turn it off for good?

(This hatred I have of engine stopping comes about from my old Ford Capri that had start stop by default, ie, as it kept stalling at junctions due to damp :) )

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our Titanium hasn't got it but if it is fitted I assume it would be the same as my daughters Fiesta where you have the option to turn on or off. I've always thought of it adding more wear to the engine starter motor etc.

Enjoy your test drives and I'm sure if the dealer sees your keen He we do something on the paint cost. I really cant fault the ecoboost engine.

As you say there are a lot of SUVs around at the moment but I think the Ecosport offers good value for money.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Had a shot in a blue 1500cc Zetec yesterday, really liked it and the price was around £15k for Zetec trim. cannot go any higher in cost for higher trims. Only extras I am looking for is spare wheel (another £100) and red color (another £200 dearer than other paints) so that comes to around £15,300, which is right on my price range. A lot better than a basic new qashqui at £18,500 :(

Smooth and easy drive, gearchange easy and clutch light, had quite a nice interior, though a lot more buttons than my Qashqui to play with. Boot space seems a bit smaller compared to Qashqui, but can get golf clubs in (all that matters, he he), and with back seats down it has a lot more space. :)

Going to try out the newer 1000cc 3 cylinder engine on Wednesday, but its a £1000 dearer :eek:

Maybe road tax is cheaper on that engine?

Cannot see the reason behind that extra cost, for a bit better MPG, and its going well outside my price range, though if I do like it better (we wait and see), I can always check out prices via website, like carwow, to get price down, even if it means a bit of traveling to get it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got mine second hand under a year old and it had titanium xpack fitted with full alloy spare wheel. It had less than 5000 on clock so being a diesel not even run in. In blue got it from a ford dealer they said that the previous owner wanted to trade up

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not a great one for extras or high trim models, as when it comes to selling time you get very little extra. My own Qashqui was a demo model, so reasonably new secondhand has always been an option, but I am going to sell my car to my neighbour who wants it (at an agreed price), to avoid rubbish trade-in offers by greedy dealerships, and will be buying new this time.

Just going to make my mind up between the two petrol models, and then get best price either through dealer or a car buying website.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I had my drive in the 1.0 Ecoboost engine and was not that impressed by it, especially at a £1000 extra, and car tax for the 1.0 is £110/year and for the 1.5 is £145, so not that much different. Deep down I am a bit dubious of a new engine, especially three cylinder, but that's just my thinking. Not going to knock those who went for the more modern design of the 1.0 engine.

Decided the 1.5 Zetec, with spare wheel is for me and got a final price from my local dealership which is £15,200, and said I will think about it. But I am not paying that as I had no trade-in and wanted a discount, which was not forthcoming.

So have been on to carwow and all quotes are around a thousand quid cheaper, and got a lowest price of just under £14,000 from one dealer in the Midlands about 150 miles away, even offered a cheaper deal on finance. So will be contacting them, and see what deal can be struck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hope you can strike a deal with the dealer it dose pay to shop around at times. We done really well on our titanium as they already had it in stock and we were happy to take it straight away rather than wait the six weeks for the 16 plate to come out less than £14 k, and with the ecoboost engine.

You may be able to go in to your local dealer with those quotes and see what they say, I have in the past and ended up paying even less they don't like to loose a sale.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that info.

I noticed on my second test drive that the A pillar has a big blind spot down at where the small triangular window is located that spreads the A pillar out quite a bit. Do you find it a problem on the road at junctions etc? Or easy to live with?

Also I forgot to ask the sales guy this question: I noticed the rear parcel shelf, did not go back fully to the rear seats (these seats were vertical) and left a six inch gap (150mm) where shopping could possibly be seen. Is this standard, or do the seats tilt further back to cover this six inch gap?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Colin.

I know what you mean by the large A pllar but neither my partner or myself find it an issue.

The rear seats do tilt back further so you you do lose the gap, but again have never found it to be a issue.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Signed up for an Ecosport 1.5 Zetec with spare wheel via carwow, should get it in 5 or 6 weeks on the new plate. Looking forward to getting it. As said I got a thousand of the price, so I am happy.

Though will not see new plate as I will transfer my private plate to my Ecosport. Had that plate over 25 years now.
DVLA transfers of plate at £80 a time by changing cars over the years, have cost me more than the original price of the plate LOL!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do, So the spec is a Ecotec model, Red colour, Black cloth seats.

Extras are: spare wheel on rear door, and has to add roof rails at an extra £150 as did not realise this was not included in the basic model until told. Thought that was a bit tight fisted there on the basic spec not having these roof rails as standard on all models, as I need them for my existing roof box when going on holiday, and it finishes the car off nicely.

Looking forward to getting it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts