Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe that such a car can have no grab handles. To me this is important and I would like these fitted. I have Titanium S 2016 model. Apparently these were fitted on earlier models but were dropped to make way for side airbags. I have checked under the headlining and the mounting holes are there, so I thought that I would try and obtain ge nuine Ford handles for the earlier model to see if I could fit.
Anybody out there has done such a modification?
It may mean drilling through the airbag, I dont mind this , in fact to disable such a dangerous thing would be good. My Ford dealer will not do this sort of work as it changes the cars specificatios.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I assume you mean the curtain airbag is behind the headlining, but is in front of the grab handle mounting holes. if so then that is a big problem, as you should not interfere with airbag deployment operation.

If you destroy the operation of the curtain airbags, it will most likely affect an insurance accident claim if this is found out.
Or worse as it might affect your chances of survival.

Is it possible to fit some sort of grab handle vertically high up on the door pillar, but avoiding the seat belt operation and curtain airbag. It would require drilling two small holes in the pillar and fitting bolt and nut fixings?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grab handles

Yes I did think about mounting one on the A post, but it would mean a lot of drilling,which would spoil the car.
I am not worried about the air bag, this is a dangerous thing,and has been discontinued on later model.
The fact that there are mounting holes already could mean easier fitting.
There is no airbag in this area,the device is over the B post, if this does deploy I could sustain serious injuries and damage to headlining . Apparently most do not activate even in a collision so not much of use.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry but why on earth would you be willing to drill through an airbag just to fit a grab handle? You do realise the thing could explode in your face don't you? Along with everything else Colin mentions.

If you're in an accident serious enough to deploy your side airbags the least you should be worried about is a rip to the headlining. I assume you have insurance?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes I did think about mounting one on the A post, but it would mean a lot of drilling,which would spoil the car.
What you can do is unbolt the top of the seat belt, remove door pillar trim and look for a way of drilling two small holes in the pillar for grab handle fixing. Then line up the trim and continue with holes through that to tie in with the holes in the pillar. Now araldite (epoxy glue) the nut at the back of the holes behind the door pillar, wait till dry and fixed solid, then ensure thread length of bolt will not interfere with seat belt operation but will go the full length to screw into the nut, and fix trim back in and then tighten the two bolts through the grab handle into the fixed nut. Sorted.

You might have to fit spacers between pillar and trim if there is a big gap to stop trim compressing, you can use metal washers for that, epoxy glued in. Depending on design of vertical grabhandle if it has hidden bolt system, you may also have to drill right through the grab handle for fixing the bolts. Bolts can be painted or plastic caps put on them.

here is a rough diagram of installation.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
grab handles

Yes that seems a good idea, fitting handle on b post.
Despite the exisitng fitting points on the roof, I am reluctant to interfere with the airbag, in any case the headlining may have to be replaced,since the later Ecosport has recess for the fold away handles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts