Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed!!
So I bought my Ecosport November 2021! The day I bought it I heard a grinding/metal rotating sound from front axle. Thankfully still under warranty so had it back in garage twice now and is still making the same noise.

The noise seams like a metal grinding/vibration type noise from the front axle.. only makes the noise when vehicle is warm/working temp and at low speeds - under 10mph.
It makes the noise in or out of gear - pulling off or cruising - up hill and down hill - steering and straight. The noise is very intermittent and does not always do it! Noise seamed to do it longer driving over a uneven temp road surface road..

I know it's nothing to do with the gearbox...garage have had the gearbox out and refurbished this week and noise is still current!
It is mind boggling.. please can anyone help! Have anyone ever experienced this 馃槵

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

First thing that comes to mind is the front brakes.....I used to get the same fault on quite a few Japanese cars and it was to do with the thin metal protection guards at the back of the front disk brakes. Anything getting in between the back of the brakes and this thin guard, like twigs or stones would cause grinding noises, and even on one car it was the guard itself grinding on the brakes. You can also get intermitant noises with these faults>

So check the guards and if it is them thats causing the problem, you simply bend them back a bit using molegrips, so the gap is wider and prevents items staying in the gap and then grinding.

Other things causing grinding of the brakes, is badly fitted front brake pads, or leading edge of brake pads needs chamfer-ing with a file, to stop judder/grinding.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thank you for your reply.
The garage have had the brakes apart the first time I took it in and it didn't resolve the noise.
It doesn't quite sound like the brakes either, the noise doesn't happen when I'm using the brakes.
The best way I can describe is, it sounds like a wheel bearing but it isn't.
It's like something is heating up/overheating and expanding/warping. So when I'm doing low speeds and over rough road surface it is grinding but not constant, only causing the noise for a brief second then stops for a second then again for a second, if that makes sense?

Registered
If you can get your car on a rolling road in a garage, and then get a mechanic using a listening tube to listen for that noise around the engine, and front running gear on the move, and try and isolate it to a specific spot.

Possible noises from the front is brakes, engine, bearings, CV joints, suspension. Good Luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can get your car on a rolling road in a garage, and then get a mechanic using a listening tube to listen for that noise around the engine, and front running gear on the move, and try and isolate it to a specific spot.

Possible noises from the front is brakes, engine, bearings, CV joints, suspension. Good Luck.

Yeah I'm taking it back next week under warranty I just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else has had this issue and know the cause. I think it could be CV joint or something suspension side because it's not all the time at low speeds ... just very randomly !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts