Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've had my 2017 Ti S for just a couple of weeks and the handbrake is really very poor.

I've looked at all the suggested places for the adjuster[side of lever or under the centre consul] its not there.
Can anyone please help as I don't want a 2 hour each way drive back to the dealer just to get it adjusted.

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mines the same. Only 3 weeks old and I can’t trust it to hold on my sloped drive. I have to leave it in first gear. I would also like to know where/if adjusters are

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would never trust a handbrake nowadays as they are rubbish due to the braking material.

Years ago we had asbestos, it was fantastic at grip.
Nowadays asbestos is outlawed, to prevent mechanics from breathing the deadly stuff in when working on brakes.
A bit late for us old lot with decades of DIY brake replacement, cleaning and repairs :eek:

Anyway the result is many disadvantages with today's brakes, and I am talking all makes of cars.

1....has no handbrake holding power that you can trust, so you must leave the car in second gear, as back up.
(I do this on all cars).

2....pads and drums have expansion properties that when left wet for a number of days parked up, can seize up the brake pads and/or drums, requiring a rather heavy foot down to brake free with a bang.

So they are not as good as the old asbestos brakes, but we are stuck with non-asbestos material now, and that is the culprit.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sorry no idea on the Ecosport, but Ford in general have handbrake adjuster just behind the handbrake, not sure of access from above or below in the Ecosport.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep, the handbrake on this car is shocking.

We have a slope on our drive (a steep one). My wifes old Kia Rio holds it solid.
A Kuga we had held it solid.

We have had two ES's now and both roll back almost a meter unless you realllllly pull on on the handbrake and pump your breaks when you turn the engine off.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Manual box....I would still put it in 2nd gear on a slope like that.

Autobox .....not sure how the Ecosport auto works, but select a position that locks the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this problem, the handbrake developed a very long travel before being fully on, and it slipped on a steep slope, pointed this out at the cars first service and bristol street fixed it, they said they striped and adjustd it, now is fully on by the third click and is fine, cant fault the car otherwise. r

1 - 10 of 10 Posts