Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here! Picking up my Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium 2018 car next week and would like opinions on how it tackles long steepish hills please ? Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi and Welcome to boo and boo hoo to you :D
(could not resist saying that)

I have same engine, and its fine on hills with 1 passenger, wife and I, as that's my usual number of passengers. Not sure about 4 adults though, as never carry 4. Also do not usually have a full boot of stuff.

My opinion....
I just hit the hill in 4th gear then down to 3rd if needed, before engine labours. If the hill is really steep (say a 1 in 4) and/or with bends i could be a 2nd gear situation. Never had to go down to 1st, LOL, that would be really steep with a loaded car. Its not that powerful an engine.

If you do have a loaded car 4 adults with full boot load, then you will be going down the gears sooner, its just a case of getting down the gears before the engine splutters :D

Note that your car being a 2018 will have hill assist, so you do not need to do a hand brake start, if stopped on a hill, as it holds the brakes for few seconds when you take your foot off the brake to go to the accelerator pedal.

You will enjoy the car, the engine is satisfactory for the car, and you do not notice any lack of power, well not that often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have same engine, and its fine on hills with 1 passenger, wife and I, as that's my usual number of passengers. Not sure about 4 adults though, as never carry 4. Also do not usually have a full boot of stuff.

My opinion....
I just hit the hill in 4th gear then down to 3rd if needed, before engine labours. If the hill is really steep (say a 1 in 4) and/or with bends i could be a 2nd gear situation. Never had to go down to 1st, LOL, that would be really steep with a loaded car. Its not that powerful an engine.

If you do have a loaded car 4 adults with full boot load, then you will be going down the gears sooner, its just a case of getting down the gears before the engine splutters :D

Note that your car being a 2018 will have hill assist, so you do not need to do a hand brake start, if stopped on a hill, as it holds the brakes for few seconds when you take your foot off the brake to go to the accelerator pedal.

You will enjoy the car, the engine is satisfactory for the car, and you do not notice any lack of power, well not that often.

My opinion....

Thank you so much this is very informative.

·
Registered
880 Posts
BLIND SPOTS....
On a separate topic, as a new owner you will have to get used to the big blind spots at the A pillar's (next to the small glass triangles), it was bad on the pre-facelift model (mid 2007 and earlier), and just as bad on the facelift model LOL, (mid 2007 onwards), as Ford did not learn their lesson and modify it. I assume its just because they did not want to change the shape of the car. It takes a bit of getting used to, by bobbing your head to see around the A pillar. But its just part of the Ecosport's quirks :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once again thank you. I've only had a quick test drive and was more concerned about not crashing the car lol. I'll certainly take on board this info !! and hope I can bring it home, up the hills with blind spots without incident next week. Apart from what you've told me are they good cars to drive? I'm only changing to the Ecosport as my current car is getting a tad cumbersome to drive, getting in and out and heavy on the steering.
The joys of getting old !!! Haha

·
Registered
880 Posts
Well I am a pensioner and really like the Ecosport, the high up position is good, I had a 2016 (pre-facelift) and now a 2019 (facelift), so I must like it :D

Once you get your car , you can put some pictures up on here, or the gallery, Cheers Colin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts