Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :D

'E10 petrol contains up to 10% renewable ethanol, which will help to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions associated with petrol vehicles and tackle climate change. Petrol in the UK currently contains up to 5% renewable ethanol (known as E5).

Is it better to use E10 or premium unleaded? ... The problem with E10 is it contains less energy than petrol, so E10 burns quicker than premium unleaded (95 and 98 octane). Testing conducted by Drive magazine has shown that premium unleaded (98 octane) is more efficient than E10 in both city and highway driving.'

So there's your answer, it looks like your MPG will be down a bit.
I buy from the supermarket petrol station, and they are still on 95 and 98 octane, but will soon find out my MPG has gone down, when it changes to this new petrol.

Another factor now affecting your wallet, is the cost of UK fuel as it has shot up in price a lot since the end of this lockdown, ie, companies are making big profits fast to make up for a year of people not buying much fuel.

Same goes for my weekly cooked chicken I get in Tesco which i look forward to at the weekend, its went from £5 to £5.50 :eek:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well 22 days later and been using E10 fuel.

Using Ron 95 fuel since 2019...I have a 1.0 manual box engine, and get around 34 to 40 MPG depending on road conditions and driving conditions, and think that is quite good for an SUV.

Now with E10, I find it has dropped a bit, but not that much, between 30 to 38 MPG.
Some other Ford websites (looking at the whole range) are saying some drivers find their cars are sluggish on the move, and now going for super unleaded E5. I have not notice the sluggish effect on my Ecosport yet.

Our 1.0 Ecosport engines are meant to run on unleaded rather than super unleaded, which is for far more powerful engines, so I would not recommend using super unleaded all the time, it would likely blow the back box off the exhaust LOL.

But if the engine feels sluggish in the future like going up hills with a full compliment of passengers, I think I would consider mixing both fuels in the tank. Put some super unleaded in, and then a week later some unleaded, so there is a mix. So some E5 and some E10, Is that E7.5? :D

What do you lot think, have you found any effects with E10, or are you not that bothered?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
On another E10 subject...I have noticed worryingly that some car forums I follow, have been mentioning sudden faulty O2 sensors in their cars after putting in E10 petrol this last month in the UK. A replacement O2 sensor is very costly, so I hope its just coincidental that this is happening. Can ethanol actually get to the O2 sensor(s) in the exhaust?

When you consider E10 has been out in the USA and some European countries for years, I have not seen any mention of this. Just hope E10 is not detrimental in the long term.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.