Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Both fob keys seem to have corrupted. Neither is recognised or will allow me to open the doors on my 'keyless' entry 64 plate Ecosport.

We got in eventually by using the skeleton key in the fob, which set off the alarm until cat was started. ( It also ran the battery flat, which is another story!!)

We started the car OK by method of holding key fob to flat place RH steering column.

Despite battery change of the key fob, which I have done before, car still does not recognize either of our fob keys.

Booked in at garage on Thursday. Anyone heard of/had this problem? Any suggestions or solutions?

ps ......it has a very loud alarm!

Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Ecogirl, not heard of the problem on this specific forum, but have heard of it on other car makes forums. The solution is to get both the keys re-synced to the car by the dealership, which I see that you are doing. (They charge you a price, if out of warranty).

What happens for security is that the codes on the car key rollover each startup and the key follows that sequence, so when used again, car starts and codes rollover again. How the second key which you may not have used for months knows the rolling codes, I have no idea how that works LOL. But one key or both keys can get corrupted and lose sync with the rolling codes of the car.

I always use both keys, so they are not left being unused, and when a battery in the fob goes flat, I change it ASAP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ecogirl, not heard of the problem on this specific forum, but have heard of it on other car makes forums. The solution is to get both the keys re-synced to the car by the dealership, which I see that you are doing. (They charge you a price, if out of warranty).

What happens for security is that the codes on the car key rollover each startup and the key follows that sequence, so when used again, car starts and codes rollover again. How the second key which you may not have used for months knows the rolling codes, I have no idea how that works LOL. But one key or both keys can get corrupted and lose sync with the rolling codes of the car.

I always use both keys, so they are not left being unused, and when a battery in the fob goes flat, I change it ASAP.

Thanks you for that. I will keep you posted after garage visit on Thursday. I don't know if you've ever used the skeleton key? It is too hard to turn and has not got much to get hold. I'm using pliers......I look well dodgy getting into my own car at the moment! 😀

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you for that. I will keep you posted after garage visit on Thursday. I don't know if you've ever used the skeleton key? It is too hard to turn and has not got much to get hold. I'm using pliers......I look well dodgy getting into my own car at the moment! 😀
Looking at £500 bill.......using skeleton key and pliers!

·
Registered
880 Posts
£500 just to re-sync the two fobs by Ford Dealership? that is very expensive indeed just to re-sync.
(falls down with shock and gets back up again :D)

Assuming the two fobs are physically ok and you just needing re-sync at a better price, you should hunt around for a local Auto Locksmith company that will re-sync your keys cheaper using a Car Key Programmer, that will sort the car out. Some companies are mobile and come to your house.

Internet search Example (this is for London area, but there should be companies local to you)...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts