Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a Ecosport 140PS ST Line as a upgrade from my Fiesta, nothing wrong with the Fiesta, but recently moved jobs and i feel vulnerable when trying to navigate 5 lanes of traffic during the daily commute, and would feel happier in a higher vehicle what would fit in my small drive. Anyway, my question is the following... When looking at Parkers website for second hand Ecosports, they state that all the 140PS ST line models are 4x4, i thought this was a extra to have from new. And they come as standard with FWD. Can anyone please clarify what the situation is regarding this issue ?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

The 4x4 only arrived on facelift model around June 2018 in the UK according to the thread below, only one person on here has mentioned that he bought one, as it was an expensive optional extra at the time, and never reported back about how it handled, and what the fuel consumption was.

According to the latest Ford sales website 'build your ecosport' the ST-line 140PS is 2 wheel drive as standard.

I would say in the UK most of us go for 2 wheel drive, as we don't go off road.
In the USA there is a 2.0 litre Ecosport model with 4x4, I assume more of them are sold there for rough road driving.

Also the 4x4 is an active system that cuts in by itself when road conditions dictate, giving a 50/50 power split with front and back wheels. So its not like my old Suzuki jeep that you could throw a lever and switch into 4x4 manually whenever you wanted, and watch the fuel gauge drop :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning, many thanks for clearing that up. I have also been in touch with Parkers, who say that there is a glitch in their system that shows all their 140PS Ecosports as a 4x4, even though they are FWD ! I have told them its crazy to mislead potential buyers with that information. I Think the 4x4 is also only available if you have a diesel engine, which is a no no. I shall be having a Ecosport soon, but still not decided exacly with ST line to go for, i have read that there is really not much difference between the 120PS and 140PS. I have copied the reply from Parkers below.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately this is a bit of a quirk in the system. 4x4 in this case refers to the body style - a bit like 'estate'. If you're looking for an EcoSport with four-wheel drive, navigate to 'Version' in the sidebar and look for examples with AWD in the name. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Most of us go for the 1 litre 125PS petrol, its powerful enough for the body size and weight of the Ecosport. Many like the auto, I prefer a manual box after many problems with previous autos (not Fords).

I have the Zetec basic facelift model, comes with key turn start with a physical key and normal remote fob opening/closing (I prefer that old school locking for security), all other models including ST-line come with press button start and keyless entry (to me not as secure, as requiring faraday cage or faraday box in house to prevent hi-jacking the signal to steal the car). ST-line and above all come with roof rails, mine does not. Better looking alloys and spec on ST-line and above. Spare wheel in boot is extra, try to get that thrown in for free, when your car deal is nearly done, make it a deal breaker, I did that, got it free he he.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a lot of unbiased information, I did not know that the spare wheel was only supplied on the ST or as an extra, I thought it was only supplied with a repair kit across all models. We have had a spate of keyless entry fiestas and Ecosports being stolen around here, but they have caught the 17 year old offender and his accomplish. Either way, I have already got a secure place for the key to he stored, inside a lead lined cigar box...lol...many thanks again for your advice....👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts