Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All that's missing is the reindeer :D

One of the best small SUV's around. Merry Christmas and a Happy new year.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Noticing colinJYD's comment about the Ecosport being one of the best small SUV's around, I am mindful of the reviews by the so called experts.
Even the latest reviews do not manage to get it past the '3' mark. Yet the VAG stuff is always the best. Despite this groups efforts to fiddle the figures there seems almost to be an idol worship of their products.
Of course Ford do not always get it right but nor do the others. I had never been a fan of Fords but I have to admit a liking for ours. Yes there are the odd 'who thought of that' but all cars have their faults.
When we looked at the Ecosport, I was mindful of the problems of the gearbox as I needed an automatic and especially reading about the double clutch problems. I was assured that the auto box was an auto box. Of course it has it's oddities but having had a Citroen, Mitsibushi and a Rover with auto boxes the Ford is no worse. The car before the Ford was a Honda Jazz I shift, electrically operated clutch and gearbox which I did get used to but I didn't like. My Wife refused to drive it.
Sorry to labour the point BUT why can't these so called experts be a little more impartial instead of giving the impression of receiving sweetners from some of the in vogue manufacturers. The Ecosport is conspicuous by its absence when comparisons are made between say the Nissan and Renault models, of course Seat and Skoda are always there. Come on your Ecosport owners fly the flag!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only ever had one autobox and it was a nightmare, as it was a frankenstein made up transmission by Suzuki for the vitara Long wheel base model, using a Suzuki engine and a Vauxhall autobox, and neither the two talked to each other, so it just kept hunting through the gears. Even on a flat motorway it went for 3rd to 4th and back and forth, hunting all the time. The car was a disaster.

I stuck it out for three months and fought Suzuki, saying it was not fit for purpose, but this was before the consumer protection act to exchange a really bad new car, and they eventually did a deal to swap it for a new short wheel base manual Vitara (a far cheaper model), which i accepted, as I could not drive that autobox any longer.

Always had manual boxes ever since.

As for auto clutch cars, well I do not mind driving my Wifes, which is a Smart Fortwo, that can shift either in full auto mode, or manual + and - shifting of the stick. I prefer the later manual shifting, as the human brain can make smoother shifts than the Smart cars computer can, which is a bit jerky if on auto mode, but smooth on manual mode :D

No Ba Humbugs now, only Merry Christmas ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts