Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had new tyres yesterday from tyresonthedrive.com - Always great service.

Anyway, after the job was done he said that he hasn't put the metal valve caps back on as they have a tendency to cease up, and if stuck getting them off can damage the pressure sensors.

Now, I've had the car almost two years from new and never had problems getting them off myself.

Anyone else got any experience with this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi.

Had this with bikes especially with alloy dust caps they corrode and seize on the valve thread, in the past I've had to use grips to hold the valve and on the dust cap to free them. found that putting a bit of copper grease on the thread helped.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you still have the metal ones on your ES? Do you tend to grease them up to protect them?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ES has only got the plastic ones fitted. If you've had them for two years they should be ok I would just smear a little grease around the thread to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Maleko.
Just double checked and defenatly plastic valve caps has the pressure sensor valves as well. We got it in February so would assume it was manufactured some time in 2015. There was a 15 plate one in the car park the other day had a quick look and that had plastic caps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can only assume they must have changed the valve at some point around 2015 then. But as I said the problem with the caps seizing on was the alloy ones, and I would just grease the thread a little.you've had it for two years without any problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put metal ones on my wife's Fiesta - took 2 hours to remove all 4 after they had siezed on her car. Took sharp clippers and a lot of patience! Never ever again ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 64 plate Titanium had metal dust caps. I had an issuewith tyres deflating. One day in the car park at work, I got my compressor outto inflate the tyre as the alarm had gone off. I placed the cap on top of thetyre, inflated, put everything away. As I moved off I realised I'd left the capon the top of the tyre. I got out and followed the path the tyre had taken.Found it, slightly flattened but salvageable. Quick tweak with some pliersand it was as good as new!
When the car came back from having the wheels replacedunder warranty, it had black plastic caps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I know someone who has had issues with them corroding onto the valve. It's more of a concern with cheap aftermarket ones you buy on ebay I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. Guys, tell me where can I buy parts for a car, but so that I can pay with Bitcoin? Found on Blog.Switchere that the crypto market should mimic the volatility of the fiat world to also be attractive to settlements. This will allow for the integration of niche tokens into a real business. Bitcoin will be called upon to maintain this volatility by acting as an intermediary between the two worlds of crypto and real money and business. Looking for another Cryptocurrency Blog? Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Agree with most comments above......NEVER fit metal valve caps, as dissimilar metals can corrosion weld together, ie, cap metal to valve stem causes corrosion. Also road salt does not help. So fit plastic caps. They are best for the job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts