Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started my 20 plate Ecosport ST Line the other morning to find that the ABS and TCS lights were on. A warning came up stating that Hill start assist was not available and also the park pilot was not working.

I drove to my Ford dealer who said that he had a customer in recently with the same problem and that it turned out to be that the ABS sensor loom had been chewed by a rodent. I left the car with the dealer and received a call stating that the cause was the same and something had bitten clean through.

So not covered by warranty and to supply and fit a near n/s rear ABS loom plus some rat tape to cover the new wire, equals £180.

I asked them to keep the old part for me to inspect. I have looked at it and to me, it shows no sign of being chewed but looks like it has been cut/spliced quite cleanly in a single part of the wire.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of anything like this? I am wondering whether it could have been caught by road debris or if there is some design fault where this occurs?

I would be keen to hear if this sounds familiar to anyone?

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum Scott. That is most unusual as rat or rodent chewing does not happen often in the UK, its mostly in USA and some other foreign countries where critters abound. Picture of anti-rat electrical tape shown below. Was you car left somewhere for months in a quiet location and not used? as that's when you can get nests in a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Scott.

Unfortunately its true. My transit suffered this rodent problem,& when I enquired about it on a FB transit page,it turns out to be a common thing.

Also my sons transit custom was effected twice last year,& like you, not covered by warranty .
If I were you,I'd check that ford have actually put a deterrent on the loom.
My son was told they had done it,& charged him, only to have the loom chewed a few days later.
Upon inspection, they hadn't, & got it replaced free of charge (after kicking up a fuss).

This is the first replacement loom,chewed a few days later,& not coated in a deterrent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome to the forum Scott. That is most unusual as rat or rodent chewing does not happen often in the UK, its mostly in USA and some other foreign countries where critters abound. Picture of anti-rat electrical tape shown below. Was you car left somewhere for months in a quiet location and not used? as that's when you can get nests in a car.

Road debris catching the cable could be the culprit.
All sorts of rubbish on the roads. Had a long and large metal chain fell off a lorry lying on the road, hit the whole underside of my Ecosport on the motorway, what a noise, but luckily no damage.

Looking at the picture, it also looks like a vibration break in the cable, it can happen with 'less than flexible' cable, connected to something vibrating a lot. But as the car is a 20 plate it seems a very short time to cause a vibration break. Other reason, dare i say it is possible vandalism.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Scott.

Unfortunately its true. My transit suffered this rodent problem,& when I enquired about it on a FB transit page,it turns out to be a common thing.

Also my sons transit custom was effected twice last year,& like you, not covered by warranty .
If I were you,I'd check that ford have actually put a deterrent on the loom.
My son was told they had done it,& charged him, only to have the loom chewed a few days later.
Upon inspection, they hadn't, & got it replaced free of charge (after kicking up a fuss).

This is the first replacement loom,chewed a few days later,& not coated in a deterrent

View attachment 2095

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for this.

I wonder just how common this problem is and why no precautions are taken at the factory when the vehicles are built?

I'll try writing to Ford as I consider this to be a design fault. I probably won't get anywhere but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your replies.

Scott

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi Scott.

View attachment 2095
Well it looks like rat repellent tape will have to be bought and put on that loom, if you live in a rat infested area. I have never had that problem where I live in Scotland, though did have mouse problems in my kitchen a few years back, when my neighbour was keeping geese in her back garden and feeding seed to them, bringing in mice to the area. Her and the geese have moved on to another house, thank goodness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot to add,Apparently its foxes that are the main culprit for chewing the looms.The materials used in the outer sheathing is irresistible to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's interesting. I did wonder why an animal would choose to chew on a random wire? Especially a wire that is quite thick.

I wonder if its a bit like flies being attracted to Bakelite light fittings?

I am hoping more people add to this thread with similar experiences. It may help make a case against Ford, in that better precautions should be taken to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's interesting. I did wonder why an animal would choose to chew on a random wire? Especially a wire that is quite thick.

I wonder if its a bit like flies being attracted to Bakelite light fittings?

I am hoping more people add to this thread with similar experiences. It may help make a case against Ford, in that better precautions should be taken to prevent this from happening.
Ford know all about it, that's why they diagnose it as rodent damage, & put repellent on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts