Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Change in rules coming this month, see photos below: The give way to pedestrians is a can of worms and will lead to more accidents if they just step out in front of a car expecting you to stop, plus you may get rear ended by another car if you suddenly stop. And as for cyclists on the road, it leaves it open for the 'professional lycra' bike mob to run riot and just sit in the middle of the road at junctions, causing frustration to drivers. Not good at all. No idea why they changed these rules, as there are now new dangers involved.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The madness of the new rules?
When in the car, you must use your hand furthest away from the car door to open the door, hence twisting your body to see outside and spot any danger. If the police find out you are not doing this contortion of your body, you could be fined £1000. Crazy! (example: open your drivers door with your left hand. What happens if you have a bad back?).

I for one always look in my door mirror before opening a car door to get out, as years ago I learned this valuable lesson from my Father who did not look and a lorry took off his car door at the hinges before he stepped out, and he had to put the door in the cars boot and drive home :D

Also now, you have to psychically read a pedestrians mind to see if they are going to cross the road at a junction or not, so you in the car, can anticipate to stop in time. Just Madness!

When I am a pedestrian I would still not accept this rule as being safe to cross a road, as I could end up in A&E if the car hit me, as I as a human and would get the worst of the damage. I will stick to waiting till the roads are clear before crossing, which is the best rule.

See video on the subject.....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backlash over the new rules....
The new Highway Code rules were introduced on Saturday, January 29.
There has been a lot of anger over these rules, causing so much danger.

Action group, Voters for Motors, has announced that it is worried that the new road user hierarchy could result in an increase in road traffic accidents.
The group is set to meet today (Tuesday, February 2) on Zoom to look into possibly scrapping the new Highway Code rules.

All over the UK, motorists are up in arms over these crazy rules....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a short video (5 minutes) by a driving instructor and even he is very wary of pedestrians deciding whether or not to cross the road. The video seems to show cars coming up to a junction from a side road into a main road, and I can see it being reasonable to let a pedestrian cross as you are slowing down to reach the junction, and wave him to cross (I do that anyway). I do disagree with a pedestrian crossing the road and your car is on a main road moving into a side road, and you have to brake suddenly to stop hitting the pedestrian, and then you will more than likely be smashed in by the car behind. Another factor from these new rules is that many pedestrians will now take these rules as an excuse just to jay walk out in front of you (as seen in the video).

I still think these new rules with pedestrians and cyclists are a pandora's box of accidents waiting to happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts