Ford Ecosport Forum banner

New member in the US

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SJY 
#1 ·
Just picked up an '18 EcoSport SES with only 13,000 miles on it. It has the 2 liter engine and 4WD.

I'm going to leave it as is, but I ordered some OEM mud flaps for it. Has anyone installed them before?
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Plant

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I looked underneath and it doesn't look hard. I was kinda surprised to see the 4WD configuration wasn't available in many places. I just went on some dirt roads and it's nice to feel the rear wheels hook up when I get on it.

My other car is a '17 Fiesta ST, which satisfies the boy racer in me. This one's the winter car. Heated seats and steering wheel and 4WD will be nice in the cold.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

#4 · (Edited)
Hi and welcome to the UK forum :D

Nice looking car (y)

We do not get the 2.0 petrol engine here in the UK, the biggest we got was the 1.5 ecotec petrol engine on the previous shaped Ecosport (before mid 2017), I had that car and it had good torque. Now we only get the 3 cylinder 1.0 petrol engine (I have that now as this is my second Ecosport), and there is a diesel option as well, though most here go for the 1.0 petrol, due to the complexity of modern diesels being very off putting.

We did get offered 4x4, though not many pay for this expensive optional extra, I think only 2 members on here bought it (if you look through search). Most of us do not go off-road and just stick to the tarmac (tarred roads) :D

I heard that the Ecosport will no longer be offered in the USA after this year, and even the Mexico plant has now closed down, so no more new ones from Mexico either. We are still OK for new Ecosports from the Mainland Europe plant, but not sure for how long.

I also heard USA gas prices are rising just like us. Here in the UK it has gone through the roof in the last four months, as it is nearly £2 a litre for petrol (gas), which means a full tank now cost £100 or $120. Because of this there are now fuel protests of doing 'driving slow blockades' on motorways and roads, trying to get the price of fuel down....

#5 ·
It's been awhile since I posted. Fuel prices have been going down here. I guess the oil companies decided they'd made enough.

Anyway, I did put the mud flaps on, and it was quite easy. They go on using existing hardware.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

They look OEM, but they probably aren't. The OEM flaps were a $200 option (170 pounds) from Ford. I was able to get these for 1/4 of that price. They fit perfectly.
I got them here: New OEM Sport Splash Guards Mud Guards Mud Flaps For 2018-2021 Ford ECOSPORT SUV | eBay
You can sorta see my Fiesta ST in the last pic. They are pretty rare cars here, so I want to keep it clean in the "salt soup" one can expect in our rustbelt winters. 4WD isn't necessary most of the year, but it's great when things get slippery. It's "intelligent 4WD," which means that it puts power to the wheels that need it, going to just the front once you're at speed. I love it.

Yes, both the EcoSport and the Fiesta are kaput here in the US. I intend to keep these vehicles as long as I can. I never cared for big cars, so I'm a bit of an oddball around here.

#6 · (Edited)
Looks good! I try and fit mudflaps to all my cars with th exception of my current Ecosport as it's the ST-Line. I can't seem to find mudflaps to fit anywhere! I may resort to do what I did for my Kuga ST-Line and make custom ones myself using blank sheets of 4mm think gloss PVC from Rallyflpaz as a template to create my own 'Rallyflapz shortiez' mudflaps.

I notice you have the high-sided Floor Mats as well - these are brilliant and so much better than the flat version as a lot less vacuuming needed!

Reactions: XR650R
#7 ·
Yeah, the ST-Line has that underbody cladding. I guess you'll have to fab your own.
It's interesting to me how models vary around the world. The US version (mine came from Canada!) comes in 4 trim levels and 2 engine/drivetrain configurations.
There's only one transmission. A 6-speed auto with a torque converter. The DCTs used in Focuses and Fiestas had so many problems here, they ruined the cars' reputations and are no longer sold. If you got a manual, though, they're reliable. Most Americans can't drive a manual transmission at all (things have changed since I was a kid). It's not as efficient, but it's sturdier and can tow up to 2000 lbs. (907 kg). Highest tow rating in the class. I don't tow anything, but it's nice to know I can.

The cars were sold here from '18 to '22. They were all made in India. You could get the 1.0 Ecoboost with FWD, or the NA 2.0 Duratec with 4WD. That engine is rated @ 166hp/149 lb.ft. tq. It's not fast, but feels adequate. It's been used in many Ford vehicles and has a good rep for reliability. It was optional in any trim except the SES, which only came with the 2.0/4WD version. It's the "sporty" model with blacked out trim and sport suspension (probably the same as used in the ST-Line). Only the Titanium model came with the 9-speaker B&O sound system. Mine has 7. It's enough for this old man.

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. My Fiesta ST is modded and it's a real hoot to drive. Great power and handling. The Eco isn't thrilling, but it handles very well for what it is, and has that "ready for anything" vibe. With the winter package (Canada!), I'm actually looking forward to the next blizzard. It'll be a different kind of fun. :cool:

#8 · (Edited)
I wish we could have the 2.0 petrol 2WD model. That model sounds brilliant. I would certianly buy one or even the 2.0 petrol engine with FWD. For now I'm still tryting to persuade my wife to let me remap her 1.0 125PS to 160bhp but more importantly a big increase in torque!

Reactions: XR650R
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.