Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is basically for ColinYPD

From Canada via my Brother re a couple of Smart Cars in Newfoundland. Modified to go off road in the snow. All inside as made BUT the rear wheels have been replaced and now sport a small track unit in place of rear wheels as in tanks etc. The vehicles are used with success and cope well, perhaps Colin when the snow gets too bad in Scotland a conversion for you!
Sorry no way can I transfer the item as it came vis Canada news and was even sticky to get it here on my computer.
I have had this problem before with even BBC stuff as it some form of licencing rules.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Freddy, Smart cars have been modified by fans over the years, here is something similar to what you are taking about :D

I have been a fan of Smart cars since I owned the 450 city car in 2003, we have had the 450 (mercedes engine), 451 (Mitsubishi engine), and Smart roadster (mercedes engine), and now the wife has the latest Fortwo model the 453 (Renault engine), which is now the last petrol Smart car built on the French/German border, as in 2022 only electric versions will be built in China by Mercedes design and China's Geely car manufacturer.

Each update to the car from the 450, 451 to 453 made it larger and larger, and it is now as wide as a standard car, though still with a short wheel base for the Fortwo (2 seater). A bit longer for the Forfour (4 seater).

I decided on the model for my wife, which is the Passion model, and being the second up from the base model does away with a lot of not needed electronic devices that can fail. Like auto wipers, auto lights, DAB screen radio. The more basic the better LOL. I got her the 1.0 manual box model which has a light clutch and easy 5 speed gear change. Power steering (The 453 is the first smart with a manual box option, and the engine and gear box is fine even though its Renault made in stead of mercedes ) She likes manuals. Here is a picture of her car, I like driving it too...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And there was I thinking something was new. The ones in Canada appeared to have a smaller 'cat' system at the rear and normal front wheels. Nevertheless Colin you are obviously a ferret when it comes to finding useful information and well done for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts