Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a great advocate of the Ecosport BUT I have found a couple of places where the paintwork is suspect. On the cill nearside rear, a passenger has scratched the paint. On inspection it is very thin. Yes I have a touch up pen but I am a little concerned as it will show.
The other place is inside the rear door. Offside, under where the seal curves around the opening. Between the seal and the bumper the paint is peeling off. On checking the are appears to be a stick on patch coloured black. Our car is white. The patch appears to be either rubber or some other flexible material not plastic.
Again I can touch it in but why has the paint peeled off? In April it goes back to the Main Dealer for service so I will bring it up. What is of concern is it appears that this is a cheap way of covering a gap in the bodywork.
:eek: I think this sums me up, a bit vacant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hi Freddy. Unfortunately car paints nowadays are water based rather than oil based (due to green issue directives), and are therefore a far softer paint and also a thinner paint thickness. This is the reason paint on cars are no longer so robust.

A scratch or a stone chip nowadays can take you down to the undercoat very easily. Peeling is also possible dependent on outside forces affecting the paint. You will have a paint warranty issue on peeling so take Ford up on that, but not the scratch.

At least you have white paint which is easy to match with a touch up paint stick. Metallic paint is not, as it shows up different shading depending on which way you look at the repair. I noticed with a stone chip on wifes car that it went right down to the undercoat, and my touch up stick repaired it, but as being metallic it does show different shading.

Paint thickness is so thin nowadays I would be reluctant to even use products like 'T-cut', an abrasive paste to cut the paint, during a repair.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whilst I just about understand that the EU has decreed that we must use water based paints, what surprised me was just how thin the paint is. I mentioned a small scratch on the cill. Well it is down to the metal and quite honestly it is difficult to see where the paint ends and the metal begins, it is so thin. In days of your, a scratch took two forms one you could T cut out or if deeper rub it down with fine wet and dry, touch it in and after it has dried well, using wet and dry the area could be blended in. No chance now.
I suppose it's the moan of us olduns but progress appears to be the exact opposite.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I was watching the 'Wheeler dealers' TV show the other night, they take an old car and do it up to sell, and coincidentally they were showing a tool that can measure the paint thickness of a panel, so you can decide on an old car to get a cleaner surface by power buffing with an abrasive paste like T-cut, but only if the thickness is above a certain value, so that bare metal does not show up.

Here is an example of such a tool from Ebay, there are many makes and at varying prices....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fortunately, being smug the paint is not my worry. BUT a very useful tool for those that DIY. All my concernis that IF I return the car in good condition I get a cash hand back. Wheeler Dealers is fine as wall paper but sometimes they could do less of MIKE enthusing over their latest conquest and a little more detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts