Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone can help, but the last few days I have a strong petrol smell at the rear of the car when the engine is switched off. It recently had a service so went straight back to the dealer to ask what the cause could be. They say its because I have overfilled the petrol tank, and its the overfill that is smelling. Once I run the tank down it should disappear. I'm not convinced as the tank is already only half full.

Anyone had the same issue or are they correct and hopefully the smell will go away once the tank is empty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does your car have this Ford filling system. I curse it up hill and down dale if I can't get to ONE pump in the local garage. Other wise it is click off move the nozzle, click off move it again. Quite honestly unless you pull the pump nozzle clear of the plastic cover over the fill pipe I don't see how you could overfill the tank, the system will not allow it. Certainly mine will NOT allow the level over a certain. point. I would be happier with a proper petrol tank cap.

I should monitor the system carefully and back to the dealer.
You do not say what year yours is.
If you did not fill up after the service how could it be you, unfortunately some garages are not that careful and is it possible they have moved a pipe to the point it is leaking slightly. Petrol will smell even tho' there is not much there. I think it's like gas to make you aware!!!!!
Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments.

The car is 17 plate Ecosport 140. The problem is its never done it before, I always fill it up form empty and I cant see what's difference this time. I think I'm going to drive around for a day to run the tank to empty and just half fill it. Any smells and the dealer will get another visit for an inspection on the ramp.

The filling sysyem is not as bad as m old focus diesel, I could spend a day trying to fill that thing up with the wrong nozzle.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I get the same problem as Freddy does, unless you pull the nozzle back out a bit then it clicks off with the back pressure. So got to keep adjusting nozzle if it does that, til you get the right position of nozzle in.

Also if you are too far out you can get splashed, got it all over my trousers one time, luckly was on holiday and got another pair of trousers out the boot after washing down my leg with a water tap, the petrol was stinging my flesh. :(
You may have splashed some petrol round the filler area when filling, and the smell does carry.

The only bad problems that I have heard about with smelling petrol, is a leak :eek:
or the breather expansion tube in the petrol tank is not working right.

Anyway petrol smells are not as bad as diesel though, as when filling our Smart car Cdi the diesel smell is sometimes on the nozzle handle and carries on to the hands. And if any spills by others to the ground gets on the shoes, and it stinks up the cabin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts