Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Message on a 2019 1.0 litre petrol Ecosport 'Exhaust filter over limit, Service now.'
Filter was changed 2 weeks ago by local Ford retailer, but message re-occurs.
Advised by service front desk that the filter is full of soot and needs cleaning by regeneration each week.
It's booked in for a regeneration this week at around £90
I am convinced its a sensor error
Has anyone else experienced problems.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hello Merlin and welcome to the forum :D

Is it a late 2019 model? as Euro 6.2 emission control has now been introduced, and I know GPF's have been fitted on some Ford models late 2019 and all models 2020 onwards. GPF (means gasoline particulate filter.) Euro6.2 is now more stringent on emissions and thats why a GPF has been fitted in the exhaust. My Ecosport is an early 2019 and does not have a GPF. Thank goodness.

A GPF should not require re-gen as often, as petrol engines do not emit soot as much as a diesel engine that needs constant burn cycles, you should not be landed with a bill of £90 if the car is under warranty, as this is a known Ford problem. It must either be a software/sensor error if automatic re-gen is just not working correctly, or and this is a very nasty one, the GPF was supposed to be automatic regen only to remove soot, but it seems it might not be working correctly with quite a number of Ford cars, as many owners of GPF is filling with soot with the warning coming up, and to avoid that, having to preform a manual regen at least once every week as like many diesel car owners do, by driving on a fast road for a certain amount of time to burn soot off each week. The warning message should go out after manual regen, If you do manual regens evey week, the warning should never come on. See link at very bottom for this known Ford GPF problem and how to do a manual regen.

Conclusion....
I would not pay Ford £90 for that regen, as all they will do is run the car fast for half an hour to burn the soot off the GPF for this week, but what about next few weeks on when it fills with soot again, and the next? Go to another Ford dealer and ask them about this problem why auto regen is not working correctly, and forget your local Ford dealer as they are next to useless. Come back to us with your result, and inform us, as this is very important for new owners of Ecosports with GPF's.

I have a feeling that you will have to live with doing a manual regen every week, just like diesel engine owners do with their DPF. (diesel particulate filter has auto regen, but needs some manual regens as well)

__

Here is an article regarding this issue of Ford GPF's here – How to fix “Exhaust filter limit reached. drive to clean now” (Ford GPF Filter) | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Merlin and welcome to the forum :D

Is it a late 2019 model? as Euro 6.2 emission control has now been introduced, and I know GPF's have been fitted on some Ford models late 2019 and all models 2020 onwards. GPF (means gasoline particulate filter.) Euro6.2 is now more stringent on emissions and thats why a GPF has been fitted in the exhaust. My Ecosport is an early 2019 and does not have a GPF. Thank goodness.

A GPF should not require re-gen as often, as petrol engines do not emit soot as much as a diesel engine that needs constant burn cycles, you should not be landed with a bill of £90 if the car is under warranty, as this is a known Ford problem. It must either be a software/sensor error if automatic re-gen is just not working correctly, or and this is a very nasty one, the GPF was supposed to be automatic regen only to remove soot, but it seems it might not be working correctly with quite a number of Ford cars, as many owners of GPF is filling with soot with the warning coming up, and to avoid that, having to preform a manual regen at least once every week as like many diesel car owners do, by driving on a fast road for a certain amount of time to burn soot off each week. The warning message should go out after manual regen, If you do manual regens evey week, the warning should never come on. See link at very bottom for this known Ford GPF problem and how to do a manual regen.

Conclusion....
I would not pay Ford £90 for that regen, as all they will do is run the car fast for half an hour to burn the soot off the GPF for this week, but what about next few weeks on when it fills with soot again, and the next? Go to another Ford dealer and ask them about this problem why auto regen is not working correctly, and forget your local Ford dealer as they are next to useless. Come back to us with your result, and inform us, as this is very important for new owners of Ecosports with GPF's.

I have a feeling that you will have to live with doing a manual regen every week, just like diesel engine owners do with their DPF. (diesel particulate filter has auto regen, but needs some manual regens as well)

__

Here is an article regarding this issue of Ford GPF's here – How to fix “Exhaust filter limit reached. drive to clean now” (Ford GPF Filter) | Hypermiling | Fuel saving Tips | Industry News | Forum
Thanks for the information. The car was first registered in February 2019.

·
Registered
838 Posts
February 2019...mine was January 2019, so we now know when GPF were introduced onto the factory production line for UK Ecosports.

Particulate filter technology is just a pure can of worms. Just like start stop technology, imposed on us. At least we can switch off start stop if we want to.

Remember to come back to us, on how you got on. thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts