Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anybody else noticed there radiator fan coming on, when only done a short trip? I travel 6 miles to work, when got to work was just about to turn the engine off, when the radiator fan came on? So before I went into work, I made sure it went off. Any ideas why it would come on after engine off? Also such a short journey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, does the DPF do it automatically? Had the eco for 5 weeks now. Nothing on the dash said anything about a DPF regen. Is it a case of when it needs it, it does it? The engine was running, heard the fan going, so just turned engine off as normal as was going into work. I stayed with the car just to see if it would stop, and it did. If it comes on while engine running, and you switch off, does it keep going until it done?
Thanks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
In most diesel cars with DPF, there is no indication light on the dash to tell that it is doing a burn cycle, but does make the following symptoms.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. I just drove into my works car park, which is 6 miles from home. I backed into a parking space, as engine was running, I noticed the cooling fan going, thought bit odd as engine not showing hot. So I turned the engine off, as ready to go into work, but waited for the fan to see if it stopped. It did, was under 10 mins. But I was able to turn the engine off though, with the fan still going. Engine didn't rev any higher than normal. So don't know if it was a DPF Regen.?

·
Registered
880 Posts
There is only two reasons your fan would be running....

Overheated engine...though not if you have only done 6 miles.
A regen cycle..... which may have occurred.

Cooling fans in cars depending on car make and model, can either switch off right away with ignition off and car parked up, or can run on for a few minutes more, so it further cools the radiator. Seems your Ecosport is doing this.

In this case, regen cycle would stop right away, as engine is switched off, but cooling fan runs on for a while.
Whether the regen cycle attempts another burn cycle right away, once engine started again and heated up, I do not know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, it's not done it since. When I went home from work nothing happened. Like you say did it do regen on my way to work, may be it didn't take to long as I not used car that much to be honest. Only done 410 miles in last 6 weeks. So maybe with being able to switch off engine, the regen was done and just the cooling fan finishing off it's job.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The only experience I have had with diesel burn cycles is my wifes Smart car 451 Cdi, and it has two methods of burn cycle, an active burn cycle where the computer tells the car to use more fuel to burn off the soot for 10 minutes or so, and also a passive burn cycle, where if you are on a motorway at higher speeds it just burns off soot.

When on active burn cycle, I have only noticed it doing this if coincidently it is on and I am at idle at the junction, and rev's are a bit higher than normal, so thats only been about three times in five years I have noticed it in operation. When driving along and active cycle kick in, you do not notice it.

I assume the ecosport diesel does the same with an active and passive method. If you go for faster longer runs it burns off the soot, and with less of these runs the active mode kicks in more to clean the DPF filter.

PS...A result of this EU5 and EU6 emissions requiring a burn cycle has now killed of small city diesel cars like the smart car, and Smart are no longer selling the diesel on their latest 453 Smart car, which is now petrol only, as their cars are classed as 'town cars', but if used as a town car it would just block the DPF filter up, which has happened with some owners not realising that DPF filter cars require more long and faster runs to clean filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts