Ford Ecosport Forum banner

Rear coil springs

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Dave101 
#1 ·
My rear coil springs are very badly rusted on my 2015 Ecosport 1.5tdci.
So I have purchased 2 from Ford and they are made in India.
I'm wondering if that's why the original pair are so badly rusted.
Inferior parts made in India or is it just bad luck..?
Any ideas out there..?
I have to be honest. I was expecting to see made in Europe and I'm thinking,
I could have just went to the local motor factors round the corner and ordered some KYB's...!

#2 ·
The pre-facelift model (early 2017 and earlier) was made in India then exported. The facelift model is now made in Europe.

I assume many parts of the Indian Ecosport was made in India.
Could be that the rear coil springs are different for the facelift model (Europe) and that's why you got the Indian springs.

Anyway, to solve your problem, gets some Black hammerite paint in the can and use a paint brush on the springs you got, and they will not rust for a very long time.

I have the same problem with my wifes smart car rear drum covers in silver. Car is less than a year old, and its coming up blotchy with rust already. Looks real ugly. Its a common problem with all the previous Smart cars we have owned. Its just a cheap finish on the drum covers, that has no weather protection at all. So I paint them with black hammerite (though in this case a high temperature paint, good for painting calipers too).

#4 ·
My daughters 2015 Ecosport has just had its MoT and service and has encountered two of Daves problems.

The rear coil springs are corroded but I have seen worse. The mechanic advised that in this condition they commonly fail quite drastically in service which can be highly dangerous. It has an MoT advisory. The corrosion appears to weaken the metal badly which may be the result of the Indian build quality. When I mentioned wire brushing and painting he correctly advised against it as he said the paint would not restore the spring strength. I don't mind replacing the springs although the car is only 5 years old and has done 50,000 miles.

The diesel tank fuel filler pipe was also badly corroded buy not yet leaking - another common issue with the part only costing £325.

The rear exhaust silencer outer skin wrap is corroded and peeled away but not blowing. I thought I could simply order a replacement back box but they are not available on the aftermarket - nobody makes them and it has to be a Ford original part.

The hand brake is almost vertical but there is no adjustment on these cars. The cable wear is taken up by the manual adjustment of the rear brakes within the drums only and has to be done very carefully on cars with hill assist. It usually requires replacement shoes and cables as there is not enough adjustment to compensate for cable stretch.
:(
There is no workshop manual for these cars as Haynes has stopped producing paper manuals due to the complexity and costs of servicing and repairing new cars. So if anybody has access to a copy of the Ford electronic manual - please help

#5 ·
Ok.Sorry for not checking this post for a while.
Everything CaptainKirk has said, I have also experienced these problems.
The fuel filler neck pipe..?
There is a stainless steel one with easyfill capless nozzle. I couldn't be sure it would fit so I just bought a second hand same one of Ebay for £50 & the mechanic sprayed it with car underseal rubber stuff & while there sprayed around the axle. It's a good job.
KYB RA5223 springs for car 2013 to June 2015. If ur car is after June 2015, then send KYB an email for the model number.
My mechanic opened the rear drums & adjusted the hand brake.
My exhaust silencer is in the same state as yours. The mechanic cut away the outer skin as it was all rusted. I was hoping a klarius, but now I'll need to look into that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.