Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vehicle is just out of warranty 17,000 miles, the rear door lock has failed and jammed. Ford are arranging replacement activator since they could not open, this could be a substantial amount to pay for a part that really Ford already know has problems, it is a fault. Why should I pay for a replacement and labour?

·
Registered
857 Posts
You could ask for a reduced payment as a goodwill gesture as you are just out of warranty, but likely that will fall on deaf ears. Good luck :D

As for this fault being quite common, you are correct, as quite a few members on here have had the same fault, and if out of warranty, bought another rear door activator (electrical solenoid) and fitted it themselves, rather than pay the absurd labour costs per hour of a dealership.

INHERENT FAULTS (hidden costs)...
Usually car makers make a fortune out of inherent faults on cars, rather than redesign to solve the fault, and put that modification on the production line. Example....

My Ford Capri years ago had a pinto engine and it was notorious for overhead cam noise after one year, if you did not change the oil every 6 months. The overhead pipe that carried oil drips to the overhead cam seized up with dirty oil, and no oil got on the cams and wore them out. Ford was making so much money out of owners having to get new overhead cams, they actually produced an overhead cam kit in a packed box, comprising all parts needed to replace. It cost me around £100 to get it fixed and that was a lot in those days. They never attempted to change the design of the pinto engine.

DESIGN FLAWS (hidden costs)...
More recently the Mazda MX-5 Mk4 (the most recent design 2016 onwards), has what is called an explosive bonnet, which on the impact of the bumpers (say by a pedestrian) makes the rear of the bonnet at the hinges move upwards by three inches by exploding rams, so the pedestrian does not crush his head off the engine block, by raising the metal bonnet, creating a gap between the bonnet lid and engine block.

This sounds great in theory to protect pedestrians, (a lot of sports cars have these explosive bonnets now), but as in the case of the Maxda MX5, the bonnet usually creases, irrespective of getting hit by a pedestrian, and you need need a new bonnet. The cost of replacing the one off exploding rams + bonnet is in the thousands of pounds.

There has been cases where the bonnet has exploded upwards, either by an owner hitting a bollard while parking, or it just going off by itself, and the owners are landed with the costs or fight it legally in the courts, as Mazda refuse to replace it at their cost, and class it as like an airbag going off, so it is down to the insurer'ers to pay up or refuse to pay. This is why I would not buy a Mazda MX5 or any sports car that has this bad design, as it could be a very expensive hidden cost. Why not just make a bonnet high enough up that it has a large enough air gap underneath to the engine block instead of this complex exploding rams nonsense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts