Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
happy days fellow EcoSport owners

i own a 2018 facelift ST-Line model, and sadly this was not available with a spare wheel on the tailgate anymore. So my question is, if i get a tailgate from a pre-facelift model, would that fit? i know about the numberplate/camera issue but that can be solved as long as the door can be swapped.

thank you all for any advise

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :D
You can put a spare wheel inside the boot of the facelift model. That's what I have in mine.

As for changing the tailgate, I would not like to try that, as even if it fitted, and that's questionable, you may end up with rain water leak issues. I would say it would be easier just to put the spare inside the boot, or if you definitely want the spare to be on the back of the door, then take the metal plate holder off a pre-facelift model (bought from scrapyard or ebay) and fix it to the back of your existing door. It should fit as dimensions are similar. But a lot of work involved bolting it in. See my picture of both my previous red pre-facelift and my blue facelift Ecosport as an example. It could be done, but why bother? Just put the spare in the boot, thats far easier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey! thank you for the response, and strange that i just noticed this forum exist

yes i do have a spare wheel in my boot, but when i was looking for a new car the spare wheel on the back door was what drawn me to this car originally. sadly it was not available in the UK anymore, but this doesn't mean i am giving up on this.

Also in EU they were/are still selling them with the spare wheel. (see image, this is a same year even same color as mine but sold in France) however since Brexit getting a tailgate from EU is something i do not want to do due to the export paperwork and price. i work in logistics so i know that i rather superglue the wheel to the back then export one. :D

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you are going ahead, it would be far easier just to fit the metal bracket. Access to the rear of the door is just by removing the rear door card, then bolt it up using back plate, heavy bolts and washers. Rear plate lights moved would be an easy modification.

As for the rear plastic tyre cover, the UK one was never that fancy. Look at my red one above, it looked very plain. Some of the overseas ones in India and USA were far fancier. You might want to go for one of those. See photos below. My favourite one was where you could see part of the tyre. See blue car below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was actually thinking about the metal bracket, i found this on Ford's website and also on ebay:

Product Font Bicycle part Automotive exterior Screenshot

based on the product code it should be compatible with my car (that's what they lie :D) , however after thorough "investigation" i had to realize my car does not have the holes for the bolts on the door to hold this.

this is how my tailgate looks without the number plate ( i have the face lift model)
Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire

this is how the bracket goes on

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system Gas

so basically i only have one option is to swap the door if i draw my conclusion right :-/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just drill holes in the tailgate to fit the bracket, just make sure you touchup the holes with primer and paint, to stop rusting.

I have done plenty of drilling and cutting holes in my time on my cars, including fitting a sunroof :D

·
Registered
2018 facelift 1.5l diesel Titanium 100hp
2 Posts
Hi guys!
Sorry to dig out the topic
Has anyone ever tried to put a spare tire under the chassis? The trunk hatch modification seems pretty heavy and not without risks. Changing it completely by a pre-facelift one can also be tricky as it's damn hard to find one...
I mean, there's a lot of room underneath the car and I am thinking about DIYing something to fit a spare wheel there.
Any information about that? Has anyone tried before? Is anybody interested in me posting some details to do the same thing when I'll get there?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have seen it done as a factory fitment on some other makes of cars (on older cars), but under a car is never the best place to put a spare as the spare wheel cradle is prone to rust out, and also very dirty and manky down there. can get damaged easily.

Ever seen a 2012 Range rover Evoque fuel tank protection metal cover? Well you don't, as they are eaten away with rust, not just eaten but big holes fallen out, as a neighbour showed me recently on his, and now has a big bill to get a new one fitted. As said under a car is not a pretty place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.