Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Ford Ecosport 1.0 Zetec 66 reg and my son owns a Focus 1.0 EcoBoost Zetec same reg, my Ecosport is £125 a year to tax and the Focus is £20 a year to Tax, same engine same year what's the difference ?

·
Registered
807 Posts
There was a change in UK car tax rules in late 2016/early 2017, mainly brought in due to the many more small engines cars, electric cars, and hybrid cars on the roads, which were on low tax or zero tax.

So the UK Government 'think tanks' realised there would be less road tax brought in on future years, as more of these cars are bought, rather than gas guzzlers (big fueled engines). So tax based on emissions alone went sort of out the window. It was either that or 'pay by mile' tax that other countries like Southern Ireland are thinking of doing as eventually electric cars will be the norm with no emissions (at the car, but will be at the power plant).

Now for an example my Wifes 2009 Smart car Cdi was zero tax, and she traded it in for a 2019 small petrol engined Smart car and tax is now £145. All electric and hybrid cars are £135 tax a year. Will likely go up £5 a year.

Not only cars at the bottom end of the range are being hit but also all prestige cars of £40,000 and above are hit with an envy tax, and have to pay £320 annual supplement for five years from the second year of registration + the emission tax for the engine, that could be up to £800 a year or above :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it's down to our corrupt government's robbing the motorist again 🤬

·
Registered
7 Posts
At that age it purely down to CO2 emissions. The focus is 105 g/km compared to the Ecosport at 125 g/km a two band difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do wonder about the thorny question of the poor old motorist getting caned at every opportunity. Couple of days back, there was an item about electric scooters in London. The Metropolitan Police are taking the matter seriously and issuing tickets or warnings. Evidently these things can get up to quite a speed and have caused problems already, some involving pedestrians. The cyclists don't want them in their lanes and there are those that want special lanes for them. What does amaze me is the intelligence of some. It is stupid enough that we have to give a cyclist a metre and half berth but a special lane for electric scooters? where the heck is the car supposed to go? What is forgotten I believe, is that it is the motorist that finances the cycle lanes etc and now another want freebies. This morning I was using the A388 in Cornwall. Two cyclist had to be passed, at least they were in line but to overtake them and give them the statutory berth I was well into the opposing lane. The A388 like many of our main roads are barely wide enough for lorries to pass, in fact this road close to my home is not wide enough for a lorry and large car to pass. Whilst I am going to upset the cycling fraternity, when are they going to be required to have insurance, a registration plate and pay for the use of the highway. As for these electric scooters, I believe the law as it stands could require them to be treated like M/C's due to the speed they can attain. And yes another one that could cough up is the disabled scooters, one locally in Launceston, goes every where flat out ( yes I know it's only eight miles an hour BUT one of those versus pedestrian no contest) wrong way up one way streets, ignore pedestrian safety and never bothers with waiting for a gap in traffic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and they do not have to have Insurance. Before anyone bleats I am disabled.

Sorry if I ruffle feathers but enough is enough. £500,000 for bridge so cycles can cross the A30? My road to my home now has eight potholes, no money to repair them. Yes, I am fortunate that I am so severely disabled I am exempt from paying the Vehicle Excise Licence BUT I don't use a mobility scooter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
In Europe the motor scooter and the bike are in the same bike lane. though the scooters can come out onto the car lane as well. Just to confuse things.

But...and this is the danger, in some towns the bike lane can run in the opposite direction to traffic in a one way street. Seen that in Spain. So pedestrians like me, can get hurt if stepping out into the road without looking in both directions, thinking all traffic is going the one way. I had a few near misses, till I figured it out :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts