Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after 14 months of having my car i finally managed to find a set of roof rails of a 12 month old ecosport via that site the bay of plenty , the breakers yard wanted £93 for them or best offer so i put in an offer of £75 cash on collection , they came back with £80 and wouldn't budge on that price so i accepted and two days later they arrived via courier which i thought was crazy considering the fees that the bay charge and paypal plus the packaging and couriers fees but hey ho ! i got my rails , took me about two hours to fit and are now solid just got to get the bars for them now and i'm sorted :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well done. When I ordered my base model, I realised it came without roof rails, so i ordered them as an optional extra, as was a bit frightened to do it aftermarket (as in drilling the roof). Only other extra I bought was the spare wheel.

This actually delayed the arrival of my car by about three weeks, but glad I now have them. I bought the two cross bars from Fords, and bought twin bike rack accessories from Halfords, so now sorted for Spring & Summer cycling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for anybody thinking of fitting a set , the roof is pre drilled and just needs the strip that protects them taking off ,some clear silicone sealant to make the screw holes water tight and 12 m6 bolts with a flange head [or a washer on each] it took me around two hours but that's because i wasn't familiar with how to do it or what was needed , i could do one now in around an hour ! no great skill needed just the right gear.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Did not realise the roof rails holes were pre-drilled, as the car salesman did not know, and all the Ecosports in the dealership had roof rails on them, so never even thought about it.

Anyway i'm glad the roof rails are on mine, even though i had to pay for them fitted in the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
for anybody thinking of fitting a set , the roof is pre drilled and just needs the strip that protects them taking off ,some clear silicone sealant to make the screw holes water tight and 12 m6 bolts with a flange head [or a washer on each] it took me around two hours but that's because i wasn't familiar with how to do it or what was needed , i could do one now in around an hour ! no great skill needed just the right gear.

Hi Can you tell me how you actually fitted the roof rails please? I have bought a Titanium S and it doesn't come with the rails and I would like to have them fitted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah , there are two plastic strips that run parallel to one another on the roof , remove them and you will see the fixing points , get some clear silicone and put some on each fixing point and then put a m6 size bolt with a broad head 40mm long through the rails into the fixing point and tighten , there are six points per side so you will need 12 bolts it really is that simple , i've had mine on now for about 8 weeks with no problem the biggest problem is sourcing a set . be aware though that the two strips are tricky to remove in one piece and once out you may not get them back in without a struggle so don't start unless you have everything you need !

good luck though i'm sure you wont need it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah , there are two plastic strips that run parallel to one another on the roof , remove them and you will see the fixing points , get some clear silicone and put some on each fixing point and then put a m6 size bolt with a broad head 40mm long through the rails into the fixing point and tighten , there are six points per side so you will need 12 bolts it really is that simple , i've had mine on now for about 8 weeks with no problem the biggest problem is sourcing a set . be aware though that the two strips are tricky to remove in one piece and once out you may not get them back in without a struggle so don't start unless you have everything you need !

good luck though i'm sure you wont need it .

just got a brand-new base model so i'm still afraid to force anything :) but how did you remove the plastic strips? do i just pry them off?

are they held on by clips? or just by adhesives?

thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for the late reply, you just pry the strips off , i used a plastic filler knife type of thing so as not to chip or scratch the paint once you free one end it is easy . the strips on mine were made of aluminium and i think there are four clips to each rail that are very delicate but you wont need them for the rails , good luck and let us know how you get on .

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry for the late reply, you just pry the strips off , i used a plastic filler knife type of thing so as not to chip or scratch the paint once you free one end it is easy . the strips on mine were made of aluminium and i think there are four clips to each rail that are very delicate but you wont need them for the rails , good luck and let us know how you get on .

thanks for the tip! but i went ahead and lifted the front end slightly and then pulled from the back. true enough the bolts are there

i'll probably skip the roof rails and go w/ a "direct mount" roof rack i.e. something DIY that bolts directly onto the roof

1 - 15 of 15 Posts