Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,I am interested in buying an Ecosport automatic but I have two concerns and would like to know your thoughts on the thick windscreen pillars and the rear door ?
Are they an issue as pointed out in some reviews ?
Best regards,Tony.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi Tony and welcome :D

You have hit the two points of the Ecosport that does cause concern to potential owners. I have had two Ecosports the pre-facelift 2016 and facelift 2019, they are great cars as they as manageable small SUV's, easy to drive and manoeuvre, used to be a good price new, but prices have risen like all new cars and not such a bargain now. I bought an ex-demo car in 2019 at a far better price saving thousands of pounds for a very low mileage car. There is plenty of room in the cabin, and a reasonable boot. Pulling power and on the move is reasonable with the 1.0 125BP petrol engine. fuel consumption is in the 40's MPG. Most owners go for that engine, including me. The problem with all diesel engines now, which is the other engine option, is that it must comply with EU6 emissions, so that means the complication of adblue and more burn cycles through the DPF filter. So is no longer the best to buy as expect more faults when older, even though MPG is better.

OK, the two points of concern...

The big blind spot, yes, it is there and they never learned when the facelift model arrived, as it was the same on the older model, but you get used to it, by bobbing your head back and forth around the pillar :D

Now the tailgate, it opens sideways instead of up, and again you get used to it, and its only a problem if some idiot parks right up against it. Plenty of room in the boot itself, and access is straight forward. One problem well known, is if you leave your keys in the boot, you shut the tailgate, and it can occasionally lock all the doors of the car leaving you stuck outside and no way into the car. This has happens to a few owners on here.

Other than that, the car is fine. All cars have things you don't like, but you have to take the pros with the cons, and decide if the car is right for you. Good hunting.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Locked outside your car
For others reading this, the reason the tailgate can lock on you with the keys inside is a logic problem that can occur with the 'auto locking of doors' which lock automatically if you send a signal to unlock doors, but for some reason you do not enter, they will re-lock by themselves after around a minute. This is a safety feature, so car is not left unlocked.

The logic problem is actually in tailgate only, where for some reason very rarely it does not realise you have opened the back door, and when you shut it, every door locks. So watch your remote key fob. Yes its a weird one, but that's modern car electronics for you LOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Tony and welcome :D

You have hit the two points of the Ecosport that does cause concern to potential owners. I have had two Ecosports the pre-facelift 2016 and facelift 2019, they are great cars as they as manageable small SUV's, easy to drive and manoeuvre, used to be a good price new, but prices have risen like all new cars and not such a bargain now. I bought an ex-demo car in 2019 at a far better price saving thousands of pounds for a very low mileage car. There is plenty of room in the cabin, and a reasonable boot. Pulling power and on the move is reasonable with the 1.0 125BP petrol engine. fuel consumption is in the 40's MPG. Most owners go for that engine, including me. The problem with all diesel engines now, which is the other engine option, is that it must comply with EU6 emissions, so that means the complication of adblue and more burn cycles through the DPF filter. So is no longer the best to buy as expect more faults when older, even though MPG is better.

OK, the two points of concern...

The big blind spot, yes, it is there and they never learned when the facelift model arrived, as it was the same on the older model, but you get used to it, by bobbing your head back and forth around the pillar :D

Now the tailgate, it opens sideways instead of up, and again you get used to it, and its only a problem if some idiot parks right up against it. Plenty of room in the boot itself, and access is straight forward. One problem well known, is if you leave your keys in the boot, you shut the tailgate, and it can occasionally lock all the doors of the car leaving you stuck outside and no way into the car. This has happens to a few owners on here.

Other than that, the car is fine. All cars have things you don't like, but you have to take the pros with the cons, and decide if the car is right for you. Good hunting.
Hi Colin ,and thanks for your reply and extra informative info.It is very well appreciated.Regards the window A pillar you would think that the facelifted model would have corrected what is a well publiced complaint.There’s plenty of Cars out there that have an A window without the thick framework so it can’t be a safety issue.Ford have missed out on an opportunity there.I don’t really have a problem with the back door so much as the window.My wife can be a nervous driver and she will not be happy with the head moving bit but you are right there is pros and cons with every vehicle.The fact that you have had two tells me that there’s far more pros and it certainly appears to fit the criteria that I am looking for ; High driving position,easy to drive with some perky performance,small enough to park and manoeuvre easily but still have a boot that you can put suitcases in.
Overall good all round vision is high up there on my wish list so I will have to think long and hard and have a decent test drive before I make my decision.
Have you any other vehicles on your wish list that come close to the Ecosport ?
Best regards,Tony.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the Ecosport Auto petrol in 2019 love the car but disappointed in MPG only getting 36mpg with a feather foot on the throttle . 8000 miles on the clock at present.how do you manage to get 40mpg?

·
Registered
857 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts