Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me whether the Ecosport (any model!) does automatic speed limit detection, either by sign recognition (my Volvo does this) or via the sat-nav

·
Registered
278 Posts
Being an idiot with technology, I don't know if this helps. We have a 2018 Titanium with the sat nav screen. When the speed limit changes it appears on the screen. Unfortunately it is not always accurate.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would not trust technology with speed recognition.... period!
and just rely on keeping under the speed limit visually.

My last car (not a Ford) had a sat nav screen and I was fed up with it. it recognised speed cameras that were burned to the ground or missing (Culprit: son of captain gatso I believe, who liked wrecking speed cameras).

it also picked up speed comeras on the road below me while on flyovers,, that was fun, trying to spot a camera 30 feet below me on a different road :D

Worst of all the lack of time the sat nav took to warn me of a camera, I was almost right at the camera by that time.

Nah. I will stick to watching speed by eye :nerd:

PS....On my base 2016 Ecosport with no sat nav, I just use my smart phone with a sat nav app to get where I am going.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I do agree with colinJYD, eyes alert is the best answer. Having said that, the sad dearth of 40mph signs in a 40mph zone does give cause for concern as one has to be so careful. With the 30 if there are lampposts especially in built up areas there will almost certainly be a 30mph limit.
As to the open road well it is a case of having eyes like a hawk, especially these speed partnership jobs who love hiding under a flyover or bridge in the shadows. Here if you exceed a 30 or 40 by a couple of miles an hour, offence BUT it seems on the 70 mph zones it is 10% plus 2mph, which means if the roads are quiet then 79 might get away with it, 80 NO.
On the subject of the good old Gatso cameras, here on the A30 at Two Bridges there is one of these monsters and using the A30 every fortnight I do have to smile at the BMW/AUDI/ VW and White van man who come hurtling down the hill, oblivious of the camera sign but when the see the lines in the road watch the front end take a dive. All they have to do is read the road. Unfortunately the police camera cars can be sneaky using unmarked cars.
And of course if you depend on a sat nav to warn of speed cameras etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!make sure it's up to date.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think this is why car owners get angry at speed cameras as revenue earners.
If they were all in the right places, like outside schools, and also busy roads through villages, etc, well then, that is fine.

But when they place them in sneaky locations, like hidden under bridges as you say, straight sections after being behind a lorry for miles and you are ready to overtake, etc, that is just revenue collection, and nothing to do with safety.

Could be worse though with some countries using disguised garbage bin cameras.... :eek:

http://english.controleradar.org/hidden-speed-camera.php

·
Registered
278 Posts
As you say a money spinner, here there is controversy regarding the use of the speed awareness courses instead of prosecution. Sorry you have tweaked my button. Local police station next to primary school. Narrow estate roads. Mornings and afternoons road is completely blocked by Mums. Nothing done.

It is not a case of police numbers here, they are next door. So very busy and yet they can still do their shopping in Tescos in duty time.
Unfortunately, something has slipped over recent years and despite seeing many things, police cars just drive past. Before anyone screams, retired copper who had to comply with the discipline rules which I believe no longer apply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts