Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New rules provisionally agreed by the EU mean that speed limiters will become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022. In a move which campaigners hope will revolutionise road safety, all vehicles in the EU would be fitted with a system that restricts them from breaking the speed limit. The Department for Transport say that the UK will follow suit even after its withdrawal, if that happens.

I can see the advange of this regarding safety, but also the dissadvange trying to overtake other drivers, if we are all limited to the same top speed of say 70 MPH on motorways.

what say you?

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/mandatory-speed-limiters/

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Having read further into it, there is going to be an 'override' method that allows you to go over the speed limiter in whichever speed zone you are in, in case of a hazardous situation. Example: a 50 MPH zone might be overridden to higher speed for a short time.

The 'override' sounds rather iffy to me, and does not allow you to have confidence due to the fact engine power may be sapped out your engine at any second. Also by the time you get in a hazardous situation are you even going to have time to hit the 'override' :eek:

·
Registered
278 Posts
If the override works. Using the A30 frequently, lorries are a pain when they try and overtake at their maximum speed. Two lorries slogging it out on a dual carriageway means tail backs.
However I could not agree more with Colin. about the feasibility of this over ride and will the average motorist a) know about it and b) use it. It is so frustrating ( not a word to be used when driving) but a car doing 67mph and matey overtaking at 70mph instead of getting a move on. We were taught that when overtaking you are in a dangerous situation and should complete the manoeuvre as quickly and safely as possible.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct, Freddyford.

The worst case scenario I ever had due to bored Motorway Police having fun was....

Tried to overtake police car which was doing 67 MPH in the inside lane, and once I was parallel with them on the middle lane at 70 MPH they speed up and i had to try and get by them at 72 MPH. It took what seemed an agonizing 2 or 3 miles to get by them, and they were smirking, hoping I would speed up further and break the law and make their day.

It was a pure cold sweat time running parallel with them for so long, and that's what it would be like if all speed limiters are fixed at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Scottish police work under different rules but this was a blatent abuse of authority. Of course making a complaint against police is a minefield now days as there appears to be no discipline code.
Here it seems at 70mph an allowance may be made of 10% plus a couple of miles per hour. Of course now in the days of dash cams they might be a little more 'considerate' and professional.

Do you have the Wombles ( as Jeremy Clarkson refers to the VOSA 'police') in Scotland perhaps it was one of them.

Sorry to sound off but given their so called work load I am surprised they had time to be bored.
Whatever not a pleasant situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts