Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i’ll keep it as short as i can
it’s a 1,5 ltr automatic and the steering wheel vibrates while accelerating / changing gear
there is slight vibration when idling
i have checked : the cv joints , engine mountings ,ball joints and wheel bearings .
i only bought the car a week ago and the garage Arnold Clark’s when told ,rebalanced the wheels which improved nothing
when i e mailed to say there was no improvement the senior product consultant said “give me a call if it doesn’t go away “
i mean we are not talking about a rash , i think it could be a clutch issue ie distortion
has anybody got any more ideas
i don’t really want to start badgering the garage until i am sure of what i’m talking about

regards steve

·
Registered
822 Posts
Steering wheel vibration can be down to .... (from cheapest to dearest fix)

A weight fell off alloy wheel? get front two wheels checked for balance, and get added weights if needed,
(new cars onwards)

Steering alignment, get steering alignment checked, gets adjusted to correct alignment. (new cars onwards)

Front suspension geometry..which could be worn CV joints, bushes, shock absorbers or coils. (usually older used cars)

Steering rod, steering box and assembly problems from rack to steering wheel (most unusual).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Clutch vibration....

Usually by bad or worn clutch plate, or gearbox/engine worn mounts, or even engine flywheel balance..

Its normally causes the gearbox and/or engine to vibrate more, which in theory could transfer to steering wheel, but you would know the engine and gearbox is vibrating first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply Colin
the wheels have been rebalanced by the sellers , steering alignment is a possibility but i tried the steering when stationary ,it seemed smooth enough
the clutch is a real possibility as the vibes are load dependant ,ie , worse uphill than downhill
as it an automatic i’ve no pedal feel .
The car has only done 10k miles but it is 3 years old and in normal drive it gets up to 3 rd gear half way round a small roundabout so it’s forever changing gear , apparently this is inherent problem
so the clutch works very hard
steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts