Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well its on the cards that diesel is on the way out. This was the reason after 15 years of diesels I have returned to a petrol car.

It used to be noted as clean, gave better MPG and was the 'in thing' to buy with regard big heavy SUV's unless you had a big wallet to drive a V8 petrol engine :D

Now the politicians have decided diesel is dirty, and will be taxed as such, and eventually banned from cities.

But the biggest problem of all with diesels now is EU6 emissions regulations, it makes diesels costly to run, repair and unreliable :eek:

Two main problems are...
The introduction of Adblue (pig urine) to the exhaust system to bring down emissions, and it seems many a car drinks the stuff, way above estimated manufactures figures, so it is costly having to buy the stuff a lot. These cars are designed to 'refuse to start' or go into 'idle mode' depending on manufacturer, if you run out of Adblue.

Also 'oil dilution' is another problem which requires you to replace oil and oil filter between 3000 to 6000 mile intervals (roughly half a year), which again is costly. The reason the oil gets contaminated so quickly is that EU6 requires more burn cycles per week to burn of the soot from the DPF filter, and so more contaminants gets through to the oil sump, diluting its contents.

Overall: the complexity of burn cycles, DPF, adblue, etc, makes the diesel far more complex than it used to be, making running costs higher, and leading to more chance of faults, whereas a petrol engine only has a few O2 sensors and a 'for life' catalytic converter.

The only downside of a petrol engine is less MPG, but I for one can live with that now, rather than the above EU6 nonsense. And I think a lot of other car owners are now thinking the same way, which will be another nail on the coffin for diesels.

So if you do not want a EU6 diesel then the answer is a petrol car or a petrol/electric hybrid or an 'all electric' car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is interesting that only now Diesel is the bad boy. Most people do not realise how poisonous it is. In about 1969, yes a long time ago, I was a 'Bread salesman' and we had BMC vans. All that separated the driver from the engine was a not to well fitting cover made from a piece of pressed steel. One morning about 2 miles from the depot, the van developed a leak in the pipe from the lift pump to the injector pump. It was only slight, so given the time the fitters usually took to come out I drove back to the depot. Van fixed and off I went. Later that day, I was on my way home from visiting family when I started to lose control of my limbs, quickly afterwards I could barely move. My Wife managed to drive me to other family whereby the GP was called. I was paralysed. I was fully aware of what was going out but could not speak nor move. Many tests and the following day, things began to work again but it was a week or more before I could work. Diagnosis: Diesel poisoning.
Right or wrong I have never owned a diesel engined car.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounded rather dangerous and deadly :eek:

The only reason I bought diesels for so long was the good MPG, as fuel prices went up, it was the obvious choice on keeping running costs down.

But as I said above, diesels are no longer good value, so the reason for going back to petrol. Though in the future even that will be outlawed, and we are onto electric cars, that remind me of the dreaded 1985 Sinclair C5 :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your picture of Clive Sinclair reminds me of one night on my beat when I saw lights ahead low down. On approaching the vehicle it was a Sinclair C5. The rider/driver was a local Airline pilot who had been banned for drink drive. As I knew where he lived I let it be as we had had no instructions re C5's and licences. On checking it was a case of it was not a motor vehicle ( I could never understand that) and as such no offence had been committed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My last view of Sinclair C5's was on Blackpool leisure beach (fun fair), painted in bright colours, and used on the pavements as hired attractions.

They were just far too dangerous to be on the roads, no wonder they soon became extinct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts