Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt teaching to the converted BUT yesterday was my fortnightly round trip of 100 miles. It involves the A30 and we are just experiencing the influx of holiday makers here in the West Country.
Our Ecosport has now done 1300miles and I feel I can give it a little more throttle.
What surprised me was when I had to get a move on out of a slip road and used a bit more throttle than I have up till now, was how much power came in with the turbo. Given the Ecosport is a bit of a lump and there is a tiddler of an engine under the bonnet, the acceleration was more than acceptable. On the return home, it is out of the junction and go as there is virtually no run in onto the A30. I just put my foot down and up the hill it went. Certainly no shrinking violet.
A:)s the miles increase I have to admit that it continues to both surprise me and please me. Well done Henry!!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have the older designed ecotec 1.5 petrol engine that they no longer do in the range , and its naturally aspirated, ie no turbo, so it needs the extra engine size just to compete with the BHP of the 1.0 three cylinder. I suppose its old design verses new design. If I was buying another new ecosport it would be the 1.0 petrol, as that's the only petrol engine they do now.

I went for the 1.5 at the time as it was a bit cheaper than the 1.0, and we had a company car with same engine, and I liked it, even though the ecotec design was getting old tech.

But I can say that the three cylinder designed engines can fairly go when you put your foot down, as my wife has a 453 new shaped Smart Fortwo, smart have been into small three cylinder engines from way back in 1998, and the latest is a bigger 0.9 three cylinder engine with turbo, and it can move, which surprises other drivers when we overtake on motorways. It even surprises me sometimes how nippy it is :D

Three cylinder engines, seem to be the in thing now. Smooth, efficient, reliable and good MPG, and the way to go.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Just noticed you are in the West Country, last time I was down that way a few years ago was to see the Eden Project, and stayed at a caravan at the sleepy village of Par which is only a few miles from it. Amazing to see the Eden Project, and was glad we went all that distance. Took us two days to get down, as decided to spread the journey and stop at a travel lodge on the way down and back, and see the Wooky hole cavern on the way down and Bath (The roman baths) on the way up.

Here is my souvenir of Mevagissey (a seaport village quite near Par), its a four foot wire frame, which was quite a struggle as we had taken my two seater convertible, (did not have the Ecosport at that time) and just managed to get it behind the seats on the way back, but it reminds us of the area, as we go up the stairs to bed :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonny Scotland

Glad the West Country was good to you. Unfortunately in the past there have been many cases of tourist being ripped off. We live mid way tween coasts with Bodmin Moor one side and Dartmoor the other on the Devon Cornwall border. We don't venture far, except the required 100 miles round trip once a fortnight in the Summer months as the roads are clogged up.
While compliments are being paid about 2008 we came to Scotland on a coach trip. Stayed at Fort William and toured about. It was late April. We did a trip on the train from Fort William to Upper Tyndrum and return as it was case of if we didn't we would not get back. Across Rannock Moor, what peace, what scenery. We could see Ben Nevis from our hotel bed.
We both fell in love with the superb scenery and the amazing way the Scots welcomed us. Certainly NO ripping off. One day in Oban, my Wife wanted to buy me sweater, I am deaf and didn't hear her. The Lady sales assistant yelled across the shop, 'Hey you, Jimmy'. I kid you not, it really made the day, shades of the comedy program with the plump Rab C Nesbit, always drunk and had a log suffering Wife. Unfortunately, we cannot return, it's too far to drive, train is out of the question. We live 40 miles from Exeter the nearest station any good, Plymouth is closer but another hour to the journey and no parking at either. I even thought of the old motor rail that took the car BUT that sadly no longer exists. We are too old now to even face flying, again getting to the airport is a trip.

·
Registered
838 Posts
There is always Bournemouth airport which is along the road from you (a cow in a field landing strip :D), as we bought my wifes 453 Smart car there via Ebay, and the seller picked us up at the airport in his jeep, after we flew from Glasgow to Bournemouth 45 mins, took us to his house and we checked over his wifes immaculate one year old 2 seater smart car, bought it, and headed home stopping at the Midlands to see relatives. (It was cheaper to fly than go by train).

We like the excitement of buying a private secondhand car unseen, especially if we get it cheaper that way. Although a bit dangerous, I have never been ripped off yet and got good cars. This was the fourth we bought off Ebay, this one in Bournemouth (wifes present car), one in Belfast (previous wifes car), one in London (my convertible), and one in Newcastle (a previous convertible). Gives us a good outing and holiday and a car :D

PS......The Ecosport was new, so bought that in Paisley from a Ford dealership.
(A Rather boring way of buying a car, ha ha)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts