Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ecosport 2016. Have fitted towbar but need to check whether I need special electrics or can I just use the normal 12n type. I only want to pull a light dinghy.

·
Registered
822 Posts
12n type socket is 7 pin, that should be enough for your requirements.

Circuits: Repeat indicators, brake lights and tail lights, Fog light (optional).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for reply. I was more concerned with needing a special relay due to the Canbus system if it is actually fitted. How does one find out?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Graham, Oh, I can see your problem now with modern day canbus systems used for lighting circuits, you even have to ensure the bulb if blown, when replaced, is canbus error free. I used to wire up trailer/caravan wiring, but that was back a few decades ago, LOL. it was a lot easier.

So this does mean relays, so you can duplicate your lighting to the trailer via volt free contacts from the relays, and use separate 12V supplies.

Looking at the internet you do need an interface relay box, I found a universal version by just googe-ing, which might do you, but you will have to look into it closer to be sure it is suitable.

https://www.4x4ni.com/product/towba...MI1_-Ngv3v6AIVL4BQBh0IVAiwEAQYASABEgI10fD_BwE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks, yes that was what I was thinking. Like you I have wired many towbars over the years but retired just before the new systems came into being. I have seen this relay setup and I think that I will have to go down this route.
cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts