Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2015 ES. I have a problem with my front driver's side valve leaking. I have had It replaced with a standard valve (no monitor), but now it keeps saying 'Check Tyre Pressure'. is there a 'aftermarket' monitor & valve I can buy as my local Ford dealer wants:
* £47 for parts.
* £45 to programme monitor.
* £28 fitting.

Or is there anywhere else that can programme the sensors?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have you a decent tyre company locally? Or Kwik Fit have the contract for Motability and when they fitted a new tyre he reset the monitoring system for me. I appreciate he didn't replace the monitoring valve but a good tyre company should be able to help. No doubt good old Ebay can find a 'proper' replacement. Often Ford parts come up at reduced prices. People like Europarts might have a branch i n your area, they don't charge for advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FreddyFord, Thanks for the reply. I will phone a few tyre places tomorrow and ask around. Don't mind paying for it all but £120 seems a little steep to me. I've seen several monitors on flea bay but not sure if they will work as they have to be programmed. I'm not the greatest with cars so I have no clue what is ok and what is not.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Unfortunately a fully working tyre pressure monitoring is now a MOT requirement, from cars 2012 onwards, if it is fitted.
You will need to fit a monitoring valve to that tyre and get it programmed, to get by the MOT.
Its just yet another complication we have been landed with, when a tyre gauge can simply tell the same information.

The main dealers is just coining it in, for a replacement monitoring valve, but there should be tyre companies out there that will fit a new monitoring valve and program it far cheaper.

Here is some info that might help...
https://www.national.co.uk/information/tpms-sensor-valve-service-and-replacement

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ColinJYD, thanks for your reply. I get they are required and to be honest found mine useful. I am basically looking for a cheaper aftermarket alternative to the factory fitted ones.
I know they are available but I'm unsure of what ones will work with my car. Also how to pair them with my car?

·
Registered
278 Posts
After posting my reply I thought I would check in case I was in cloud cuckoo land BUT Kwik Fit claim they can offer an OE package at a saving over dealer prices. Also saw OE on Amazon at some £120 for a set of FOUR.
Not that I have experience of these things, surely it is a case of partially removing the tyre and replacing the TPMS unit. It probably will need re balancing but with a puncture costing around £20 the mechanics of it aren't much different. I assume these TPMS units merely unscrew.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Freddyford, I will give my local Kwik Fit a call and ask them how much in total to supply and fit 1. Also yes they do just unscrew, but the new ones have to be programmed to your car, at a cost of £45 from Ford dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Freddyford, I just gave my local Kwick Fit a call and was quoted £89 all in. So a saving of £30 from dealer. Booked in for tomorrow afternoon. will post an update once it is fitted and working.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had 2 new back tyres on. I have the sensors on, nothing had come up on the dash saying about resetting anything. To be honest how do you find the tyre monitor system? Presume it on the main display.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE....
I got quoted £89 at Kwik Fit.
Then I called Formula One and they quoted me £79 so had it done yesterday at Formula One. and all is good with my car now.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bobbyecopsort. This is the sort of answer you don't really want!!!!!!as I am a complete dimwit with technology. It is not on the main screen but on the little screen in the speedo/rev counter binnacle. I tried reading the book which just confused me because it referred to up and down arrows and left to right arrows, which are on the left hand indicator stalk. I am speaking from memory BUT you do NOT press the central bit to access left and right or up and down. Sorry for one you have to press the centre of the indications on the stalk. Right now you are confused. Having NOT pressed the central bit try the arrows that come up in the screen and if you persist you will come to the tyre pressure monitor. It took me a lot of trail and error.
Now anyone else want to be confused.
My defence is that my handbook shows German places in the sat nav instructions so I would suggest a German wrote the handbook and it was translated into English.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't think I can grovel low enough, I suppose I might get away with a senior moment but for the drivvle written above I humbly apologise.

After much fiddling here is what I did and I have checked it a couple of times.

Left hand control on STEERING wheel. Ignition on. Press OK, then using the bottom arrow keep going through the items until you get to SETTINGS which has a nice little picture of an Ecosport. using the button with the three lines on the right, press and you will get another panel with INFORMATION at the top, press OK and there at the bottom is Tyre settings.

All I can say in defence is don't do it from memory and I suspect there is a little bit of Honda stuffed at the back of my brain.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Don't worry about it Freddy :laugh:
You can always get your old tyre gauge out and check the tyre pressures by hand.

I still do that, though I do have a digital gauge now to press against the valve to get a pressure reading.

Anyway, at the end of the day, even with this high technology of digital display tyre monitoring, you still have to get down and dirty to pump up the tyres with a foot pump or compressor pump ;)

I actually have two digital gauges (cost under £10 each).....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I still have my old prehistoric one that flies out of it's casing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will comment that both the pump with gauge supplied with the Honda and the Ford one agree with the old stone age one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts