Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mk 2 2018 Ecosport Titanium.

Normally there are only two in the car and so the tyre pressures are set as the book at 33lb psi Front and 28lb psi rear.We had visitors and decided to use the Ford for trips. As it was four adults, I checked the tyre pressures recommended and inflated the tyres as the book/sticker. 41lbs psi front and 41lbs psi rear. At the time I was a little concerned as throughout my motoring life it was normal to put extra in the rears/ Never by as much as the book said.
The first day was wet and going through some very shallow surface water in a spot that I have passed with deeper water, many times, the car aquaplaned. We are talking about a straight line.

The ride was akin to a farm cart with wooden wheels, the road noise was quite incredible and the handling was dreadful.
The tyres are all in the 6mm depth region,
I contacted Goodyear who made the tyres ( original fitment) Stonewalled. I contacted the dealer where I got slightly more in that they agreed I did right in reducing the pressures to that for two after the visitors had left BUT merely commented call in and we can discuss. I contacted Ford Customer care and got wrong department. I am awaiting info re correct dept.
Had I not inflated the tyres to the recommended pressures and an accident occurred not only would there be a possible prosecution but the Insurance would be trying to wriggle out of a claim.
Has any other member followed the book on tyre pressures and if so what was the result.
I really cannot accept that eight extra pounds in the front and thirteen in the rear is correct. It seems as my Wife put it,:( they have based their figures on people who shall we say are somewhat larger than the normal BRIT.
It is also worthy of note the TPS never made a squeak both when I pumped the tyres up and when they were returned to 'normal' pressure.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Freddy, you should stick with the recommended normal 33 PSI front and 28 PSI rear figures, and do not over inflate. In this case I would say forget the car manual saying to add extra pressure. Extra inflation is not a good thing.

When occasionally carrying any extra weight in my car, ie, holiday luggage or adult rear passengers I never adjust the tyre pressures. I want the tyres to grip and do not mind if they flatten out slightly with a bit more with weight. Its safer with more rubber area on the road.

THE REASON....When you add extra pressure in the tyres, you can end up with less rubber area contacting the road, and hence less traction and less grip, and can easily cause aquaplaning in the rain, which happened to you.

I do agree that the figures given to inflate with extra load seem very high, and as said above, just do not extra inflate.

Note1: The TMPS system will only warn at under pressure.
Note2: The only thing I might adjust with extra weight at the back, is the headlight adjustment to bring the beam down.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree whole heartedly with you Colin. The higher the pressure the less tread on the road. However I am always mindful of the consequences of NOT following the book.
I wrote to the Ford Technical Information Centre and listed my concerns expecting a 'follow the boo'. Well I am pleasantly surprised as today through the letter box came a reply.

Basically the revised recommendations are front 30lbs psi and Rear 30lbs psi up to THREE adults . This is a variation on the book. With a FULL load I presume FOUR adults and luggage, they now recommend 35lbs psi front and 40lbs psi rear. Still a bit high for my liking but a little more sensible even tho' I think 40lbs psi in the rear is still to high. However they also finish with, ' we are investigating internally as the owners hand book appears to be incorrect'

I agree that a case of what suits should be the norm BUT if anything goes wrong and the tyres are no inflated as per book it could be costly.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having had the revised information from Fords. I have reset the pressures to 30lb psi front and rear. I fully expected the TPMS to create but not a peep.

Yesterday, we did our fortnightly 100 plus mile round trip on Dual Carriageways and other roads. The weather was atrocious with considerable surface water heavy rain and strong wind, with the usual West Country mist ( one would expect in high wind it would disperse perhaps its low cloud!!!!!) . The Ecosport felt very solid no loss of feeling through surface water, dealing with a side on wind was better than normal although it was quite an effort to keep the nose pointing in the right direction.

Once again I could not believe the number of cars with NO lights on despite the heavy rain, spray and reduced visibility.
Why oh why can the average motorist not realise that to be SEEN is just as important as being able to see.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mine are 32psi front and 30psi rear (just checked them today with my tyre pressure gauge, on 2019 facelift Ecosport, only had the car a week now).

Seems ok for driving on, and will keep them at that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts