Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen says 11 million vehicles worldwide are involved in the scandal that has erupted over its rigging of US car emissions tests.
It said it was setting aside €6.5bn (£4.7bn) to cover costs of the scandal.

VW chief executive Martin Winterkorn issued a fresh apology for the test-rigging, saying he was "endlessly sorry" for the "manipulation".
Earlier, the boss of Volkswagen's US business, Michael Horn, admitted the firm "totally screwed up".

In the UK, the Department of Transport has added its voice to calls for an EU-wide investigation into the affair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am left wondering if the other manufacturers are doing this as well. Ford specifically, which if so, could devalue our diesels PX prices and cost us additional road tax.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Weren't Ford fined for something similar a few years ago? So surely they won't have continued to deceive the public having already been caught out once? I sincerely hope not!!

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want to know what happens in the Euro tests this is useful info after the Volkswagen scandal.

The test, which is called the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), happens on a rolling road inside the lab that monitors the speed, weight and resistance. Hooked up to the exhaust pipe is all the equipment to monitor the emissions. The test is done from cold and the lab usually has an ambient temperature in the mid-20s.

Find out more here: http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/industry/what-really-happens-official-economy-test

·
Registered
6 Posts
Retest once a year with a random production car fresh off the line so they can't change specifications part way through production. Don't ever let the manufacturers know the exact details of the test so they can't optimise tuning for the test centre layout. etc. etc. I can't believe there isn't any independent oversight in the whole fuel efficiency / emissions testing process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts