Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today agreed to drop the Mrs at the train station, she brought the ES down to my place of work I jumped in the driver seat drove to the station she got out I drove the four miles or so back to work but dropped into the Tyre garage to either blow up a low Tyre or get a puncher changed, following so far?.

I got out the ES turned the engine off then realized no key in the car or on me?, yes she had it in her bag. Long story to get the key back before her train left but should the engine not cut out if the key is out of range or at least a light flash or bleeper tel you the key is out of range?.

Telling a guy at work he said his BMW or something cuts out if the key is out of range.

Then I thought what would have happened if the car had cut out in the middle of the city or in a traffic jam on the A1 that would have been a problem i do not want.

Something to think on does or could your ES leave you in this position?.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Think you should have got a message saying 'key out of range' or something. At that point guess you need to keep going to where you can pick up your spare key or wait safely for a tow truck!! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
BMW doesn't cut out, like you say too dangerous to have a car stop in the middle of motorway or roundabout etc.
You should have had a message display as mentioned above. I've got a BMW and it displays a picture of the key with a line through it to indicate it's not in range.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys as I said BMW or something like might be a merc? but he did say the car would not run!.

In any case the EC is the issue and I would expect some message but had none, perhaps others can try it see what they get.

Looking at various web sites with push button start continue running with some warning seems the norm, but this indecent has made me think and post.

I intend to try running it again but with a little more control of the circumstances and if still no warning go see Mr Ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Left my ES running on the drive with someone outside checking for a message and a warning that said the key was out of range appeared before I got to my front door. Your post has made me think 'key' and be more conscious that it is actually mine, when I'm dropping OH off at the station, though!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm no message when the boss disappeared into Br Rail, still to try what you did see what happens. I will let all know, no one else has reported findings I hope it makes other make sure they have the keys in the car all the time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am breaking up!!!!! just tried the key out of the car first attempt no signal or message car restarted, tried again this time a message with a chime but the car started again, sent the Mrs into the far back of the house stopped the car started drove off the drive NO SIGNAL OR MESSAGE car restarted??,

When I get the chance will start again with keys in the car take them out but drive down the road, in any case it looks very dodgy anyone else got mixed no key messages?

Either I am doing something wrong or I have a fault in any case it looking like perhaps I was correct no sign at the station and if there was it does not stay on and it should as long as the keys are not in or in range of the car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
There's a lot to be said for the old key in the ignition and turn key to start.
Once the key was turned off and pulled out, the engine was shut down, period!

I am still not that keen on this modern idea of push button start, with its weird complications, like the above situations. Good luck with the dealer sorting it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts