Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Fords are constantly rated rather well - the Fiesta, Focus especially why have Ford decided to give us the very poor Ecosport??!
I know its a world car made in India for the rest of the world but really I thought they would have done better than that.
The Juke, Mokka, Captur etc. are all doing really well and Ford could have captured (excuse the pun) a massive amount of market share if they had just thought about it for a little while.
A few improvements such as increasing the quality (not hard, base it on the Fiesta), ditch the rear wheel, sort out the ride and handling.
Job done, and a decent contender.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I agree its not perfect but what car is?
I think you are being a bit harsh here, if its not for you fine - but why bother posting and joining up here. I think you'll find the Juke, Mokka etc. all have their fair share of issues too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh and I happen to like the rear mounted wheel - its rare to get a full size spare these days. One day you'll be wishing you had one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you test drove one or is this just based on what you've read? Sounds like you've copied and pasted this from some of the review websites.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi QX30 and welcome to the site. What an interesting post you've made... If I've read it right, you think that the EcoSport should have been based upon the Fiesta. It is. It has Fiesta underpinnings, engine and dashboard.

We looked very carefully at the Renault Captur (actually test driving it a few times) before deciding on the EcoSport. We bought the 1.0 Ecoboost version as it was so much nicer (and more fun) than the Captur.

All cars are a compromise. Yes, the EcoSport has cheap plastics (have you ever looked at a Ka?) and could have been implemented better (why is there no heated screen fitted for the European markets and what a missed opportunity not to use the LED 'signature' light as DRLs) but it is by no means a bad car.

The Nissan Joke has a great reputation, but the styling is a matter of taste. Personally, I don't like it and the boot opening is too high IMO, but it is distinctive. How can you criticise the EcoSport for being distinctive? You may not like it, but it doesn't make it a bad car!

The Renault is not distinctive. Unless you get the top models with satnav and two-tome paint (which costs more than the a EcoSport!) it offers nothing new (ok. I do like the zip off seat covers!) and is not distinctive. The car in single colour just doesn't stand out. The Captur is a tall Clio. One of the factors that helped sway us from the Captur and buy a car that we had never seen / driven at that time, was the appalling Renault dealers! If they were so apathetic about selling the car, I dread to think what the after sales service would be like...

Vauxhall Mokka? A very nice looking car but again more expensive than the EcoSport (even in Chevrolet Trax guise) and with lethargic engines and poor economy figures. We looked closely at the Mokka, but previous experience of Vauxhall depreciation really put us off. The car just did not seem good enough to justify the cost.

Due to circumstances, both my wife and I bought new cars within a couple of months of each other. I bought a Kuga Titanium X diesel and my wife the EcoSport. For the first few weeks that she had it I would find any excuse to drive it. She used to complain that I kept hogging it whenever we went out.

I think the EcoSport is a fantastic car that's fun to drive. I love the engine! The boot (even with the back seats up) is big enough for my two Labradors and the tailgate opens low enough for them to jump in and out without risk of injury (try that in a Joke or Mokka!). There is enough room in back seat for my 6 foot son to fit. Handling is similar to modern Fiestas that I've drive though, being a taller and heavier car, performance is not quite as good. If we'd wanted Fiesta performance and handling, we wouldn't have bought a mini SUV!

Some of the trim plastics are flimsy and (on our car) the paint quality isn't the best, but this is not a BMW or Mercedes. It is a distinctive and fun car which is practical to own. The styling divides opinion, but this is a market where different is good.

If you don't like the styling, buy a bland hatchback...

[rant over!]
Dave

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you mis understood what I meant - I know the Ecosport is based on the Fiesta but in reading the reviews they seem to have removed all the good bits from the Fiesta before they made the Ecosport!
For example, the ride on a Fiesta is supposed to be best in class, the interior is supposed to be high quality. What happened to all that when they built the Ecosport?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with the EcoSport is that is was designed for emerging markets and is therefore has a few too many cost-cutting measures. I was surprised when Ford announced it was being sold in all markets considering the quality disparity between this and the Fiesta on which it is based.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think we need to keep things in context... The EcoSport is not a Fiesta. It is a Fiesta-based SUV. Consequently it will not have the same performance and handling as the smaller, lighter and more aerodynamic car.Quality-wise, the equipment levels are comparable (ok the Fiesta has more options available and don't get me started on the heated screen...) and the interior quality isn't bad! Ok, there are some cheaper plastics and areas which could be better, but considering what you actually get for roughly Fiesta money the EcoSport is a bargain! After 3 months of ownership the car has behaved faultlessly. I could not imagine wanting to drive the Renault Captur, Vauxhall Mokka or Nissan Nuke, that we also considered, as much as I want to drive my wife's EcoSport!! Its not as good as my mk2 Kuga, but it didn't cost as much either!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts