Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes noticed it on Sunday when I was cleaning the car, was going to wait and speak to the dealer when it goes in for its first service, but having also noticed that the chrome on the ford badge on the front has come off as well my see them a.bit earlier. As the service isn't until January February.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ford always painted wiper arms with poor paint. On my previous Fords, Focus, Capri, Cortina, they all eventually corroded either with paint flaking off or went whitish.

My solution was to clean off corrosion with emery block, and spray with a tin of hammerite black paint, never corroded again.

Good luck with the dealer, but have a feeling they will just say 'wear and tear', but worth a try.

Other solution is to buy complete new set of wiper arms at cost, but wil just start corroding again after two years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes agree on older cars I've repainted them using hammerite and works a treat, but when you've only had the car from new since February I don't think that wear and tear that's poor paint or most likely from experience rusty metal before painting.

I will let you know when I have had time to see them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haven't actually called in to my local dealer yet. But read an article regarding Ford's anti corrosion warranty regarding rusting wiper arms on a KA, they claim that the wiper arms aren't covered because they are not part of the bodywork as they are a bolt on addition.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You can use black hammerite paint or satin black paint.
Satin black looks the nicest but hammerite lasts longer.

As long as I have owned Fords, and that goes back to the 70s and 80s, corrosion allways occurs first on the rubbish wiper arms. I do not know why Ford has never looked at the customer feedback and buy in wiper arms where the paint lasts a decade at least.

As said above they lose paint and corrode white.
A 2 year old Ecosport photo below......

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hi Drew and welcome to the forum :D

If you have a socket set, just test each one, till one fits, that's what I do.

If not, Just measure across the flat sides of the hexagonal nut to get the size of the socket in metric. (See picture 'F' below), then go buy one. If you go to Halfords, buy one, then test it, if it does not work they will change it, Sometimes they test it till they get the right one, then you buy it.

Other method I have used in the past with other cars, is an adjustable shifter spanner, when I did not have the right socket. (see picture below).

PS...If you hang on an owner who has recently changed the wiper arms may tell you the exact size of socket. (I would not hold my breath though, he he)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.