Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sinclair C5 (1985 electric) :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poll above, you choose your future as we move towards only new Electric cars to buy in 2030 (UK), you can also state in the comments why you have decided on what runs your car as we get closer to 2030 and beyond, will be interesting what people think about it...

At present we have Petrol and Diesel Ecosport's, but will you remain with fueled?
And for your next car, will you go different or not? Its your future!

On a personal note, I voted petrol, and will remain with it as long as i can.

Sinclair C5, that was truly a disaster, back then in the 80's :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just updated my petrol 2018 (100 bhp) Red EcoSport ST Line to a new
petrol 2021 (125 BHP) white EcoSport ST Line on 1st Sept.
Got a great deal back in June to buy for new reg in September. Sold car to an online car buying website. £2040 more than garage was going to give me.
Too costly for me to go electric just now on a car that I like.
Hopefully electric cars come down in price in my lifetime.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have to agree with you Noz, even with the UK Government discount on electric cars, usually around £3k off, electric cars are still far too expensive for many. The other problem is range worry. I am bad enough looking around for a petrol station when I get low on my fuel gauge LOL, I would have high blood pressure with an electric car running low or running out.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Three votes so far, and are all going with Petrol for the present, and it seems logical when most of us with Ecosports go for the 1.0 petrol engine. A lot of us drivers packed in Diesel when it went from EU5 to EU6 emissions, myself included. I found Diesel engines although very reliable and give better MPG, it was all the associated parts now to meet EU6 that is the problem (more burn cycles than EU5, clogged up DPF filters, adblue), that made it complex, less reliable and full of stupid faults that aggravate owners. Mind you, quite a lot of petrol owners are a bit worried now with the introduction of E10 fuel, We will see how it goes in the long run whether it is detrimental to the engine or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Petrol for me. I'm 62 and this car will probably be my last., so long as it runs for 10 years (as all my Fords have) that will do.
I did consider electric but two points put me off: 1. the initial cost. 2: batteries, what state will they be in say 5 years time & replacement costs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petrol for me. I'm 62 and this car will probably be my last., so long as it runs for 10 years (as all my Fords have) that will do.
I did consider electric but two points put me off: 1. the initial cost. 2: batteries, what state will they be in say 5 years time & replacement costs.
That only takes you to 72, you may have to consider another if you survive covid 19 :D I am retired a number of years now, and my intention if I am still going, is to buy another petrol car, just a year or two before the end of petrol cars in 2030. Mind you i bet they increase the price of petrol by that time to subtly force us into electric cars. They have already started increasing fuel prices a lot since the end of this lockdown.

Agree at present electric cars are too iffy, they cost a fortune, the waiting to get a full charge, and the batteries get less efficient as they get older, and most makes only offer up to 5 or 8 years max guarentee on the batteries if they brick up during that period (ie, totally fail). Also range can be poor on the 'cheaper' models 50 to 90 miles, and the dearer models with 200 or 300 mile range cost a crazy £40k+ :eek:

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Talking about Electric cars, poor old Sir Clive Sinclair has died this week, aged 81, he was responsible for the dreaded Sinclair C5 electric car as seen in picture in above comments, it was a plastic bath tub running on a carpet hover motor, with cycling pedals as back up. Mind you he had a Jaguar car and thought Joe public wanted his death trap machine- No not a chance!, no wonder it did not sell. Though on the positive side he did invent some good stuff, like early computers and game consoles for the masses, ZX81, ZX Spectrum (I had that), and also the Black watch, which the public put together using parts with a soldering bolt and a screwdriver, one of the first digital watches, but it zapped the battery dead quickly, after holding the on button to light the red LED display too long (I had that as well). Overall the man did well, except for the Sinclair C5.

So nowadays we would laugh at the death trap Sinclair C5, and say these kind of pathetic electric cars would never be seen on our roads again, well think again, The year is 2021 and here is the awful Citroen AMI electric car and is in reality an enclosed plastic bathtub with a suicide door (hinged the wrong way) and with a top speed of 28 MPH, Costs 6000 euro, to be sold in mainland Europe and possibly coming here to the UK, I hope not :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts